18

NATALIE

NATALIE

"If you're going to pretend to be asleep, you might want to try a little bit harder not to laugh darling."

I peeked out one eye, letting the corners of my mouth pull into a smile when I was met with his sleepy frown, the cloudy sky casting a dark hue over the room,

"You should know better than to try and fool a thousand year old vampire." He murmured, eyes still closed peacefully, voice muffled from being half-smushed against a pillow.

"What gave me away?" I giggled quietly, "I thought I was doing pretty good."

"It's raining." He remarked, eyes fluttering open to look at me softly, "You can never sleep when it rains."

I gave him a knowing look, able to detect so easily now when he wasn't telling me the whole truth,

"And perhaps I have enhanced hearing that can pick up the changes in your breathing patterns." He shrugged gently, "But the first observation still stands."

It was cute that he had noticed something that I wasn't even sure my own brother and sister had seen. Ever since our parents had died, I had been incapable of falling asleep on stormy nights, the weather just a bitter reminder of the tragedy that began this entire mess.

But as surprising as it was that he's noticed, I knew his observant nature went way past simple personality quirks,

"How romantic." I mused, tucking my arms underneath me, "How did I get so lucky and find that one special guy who's committed the way I breathe to memory?"

Kol narrowed his eyes at me in suspicion, not missing the light catch as the tender words left my mouth. I was never mushy gushy about stuff like this, he knew something was up,

"What's the matter?"

"Nothing." I answered a little too quickly, "Why would anything be wrong? We're here, and we're together, and it's perfect and that's all that matters right?" I smiled encouragingly, trying to sell him on it.

He sighed discontentedly, tapping his ears,

"You know I'd almost believe that if your heart didn't start racing the second you opened your mouth." He rolled onto his side so we were facing each other, his warm brown eyes not letting me weasel my way out of this so easily, "So do you wanna tell me what's really wrong, and why you're lying about it? Or am I going to have to figure that one out on my own?"

I chewed my lip nervously, not wanting to ruin this for him.
It wasn't fair of me to bring all the other issues circling the rim of my brain into this place.

It should've just been about being in the moment together.

"I guess I just wanted to pretend for a while." I told him honestly, "Forget about all the important stuff back home, and just...be with you."