16

NATALIE

NATALIE

*The song in the header is what I imagined during a certain slow dance scene. Feel free to play it while reading that part for the ultimate romance vibes*

"You know this is supposed to be fun right?" Matt yelled to me over the loud jazz music blasting through the gym.

I gave him a small smile watching all my classmates dancing, decked out from head to toe in their Roaring 20's outfits, and completely unaware of all the problems that circulated them.

"I am having fun." I lied, dumping the bucket of ice into the drink bowl, "Who doesn't love chasing off horny sophomores trying to spike the punch?" I stated sarcastically, flashing him a fake smile.

Matt gave me a knowing look, as Caroline came gliding towards us in all her flapper glory. Her blonde hair done in tight ringlets, the red of her dress contrasting perfectly with her light skin.

"Have I told you guys how amazingly awesome you are for doing this?" She chirped, eyeing the both of us gleefully.

"Only about a thousand times." Matt reminded her, chuckling slightly, "Don't worry Care, me and Nat love being your little decade dance minions for the night."

"Speak for yourself." I teased, "I'm doing it for the volunteer hours."

"Perfect! Then I guess you won't be mad that I signed you up for cleanup duty as well?" She threw out hopefully, giving us a pleading smile.

Matt and I looked at each other, a mutual understanding passing between us. Caroline was spread pretty thin between Tyler, Klaus, and everything else going on. The least we could do was take down a few dumb decorations if it made her happy.

"Whatever you need Care." I said, giving her a nice smile to go with it, "Were here to help."

She clapped enthusiastically, pulling me and Matt into a tight hug,

"I love you guys so much right now you have no idea."

"Yeah yeah yeah." I groaned, patting her on the back, "We're the best, we know..." I let my sentence drop off noticing the group of rowdy boys that had just entered the gym.

One of them looking way too excited to be here, considering he should've been hunkered down in hiding, at Caroline's house right about now.

"Uh Caroline?" I pulled away, pointing over her shoulder, "What's Tyler doing here?"

She spun around, looking more than a little pissed at her hybrid boyfriend strutting through the middle of the crowd, without a single care in the world.