17

NATALIE

NATALIE

"Can you pass me that?" I asked tiredly, gesturing to the last dirty pan on the counter, holding my hand out, and wiggling my fingers expectantly.

Kai momentarily stopped packing up all the leftover food we'd left behind, easily picking up the pot to hold out to me.

"Thanks-" I reached for it, only for Kai to snatch it away just out of my grasp, a knowing smile tracing gracing his lips,

"What's the magic word?" He asked tauntingly, cocking an eyebrow.

Uh? How about a magic phrase?

"Come on Kai." I groaned, taking my hands out of the soapy water, "I'm trying to finish up here, stop messing around."

"I can't help that you're fun to mess with." He pointed out, continuing to keep the last dish just out of reach from my outstretched fingers, "Maybe if it wasn't so easy, I'd stop doing it."

I huffed in annoyance, wiping my hands on the drying towel. I was in no mood for games. I sat through dinner, desperately trying to forget how I'd lost my mind only a few hours ago.

Kai didn't seem too concerned with how violently I'd acted, which didn't mean that much if I was being honest, considering how little care he had towards his own violent impulses.

But what had gone down earlier in this very kitchen had scared me. It's like it wasn't even a conscious decision to attack him like that.

I hadn't truly been in control of my own body,
simply reacting on impulse instead. I had been outside myself, another force completely taking over for a second. Which terrified me, because I hadn't felt so out of control since...since I'd gotten better.

But of course Kai would be the one to draw out that darkness in me again. He drew out everything else I tried to hide didn't he?

I glared, less at Kai and more at all the incessant Kai- centered thoughts that circled my brain. The noise never giving me a second to breathe,

"Stop it." I ordered him, making another lunge for the last dish.

He snatched it back faster this time, holding it above his head, the few extra inches making it impossible to go for it without looking ridiculously pathetic.

"Give it back Kai." I demanded, holding my hand out,

"Or what?"

"Or I'll kick you're ass." I muttered dryly, lacking any real incentive to actually go through with it.

It was close to midnight, I was exhausted, and crabby, and in no joking mood.

"Ooh." He grinned, waving it just out of reach, "Now I'm really scared, whatcha gonna do? Scrub me too death?" He said sarcastically, gesturing to my sink full of dishwater.