New life : 2

Chapter 13 - New life

After that, for Lisa, working at the bar got easier and better.

But... She still faced problems.

Lisa was sitting in the dressing room of the bar, counting her money. "The rent has been paid, I still have 1000 left for living expenses..." Lisa murmured to herself when all of a sudden, her phone started ringing.

It was her 'beloved' mother.

"Lisa, your younger brother is running low on cash, can you send him some money?"

Lisa sighed, "Mom, I just paid my rent, I only have 1000 left."

"Then send us what's left."

"..."

Lisa's mother hanged up before she could even tell anything. She gripped her phone tightly and threw it inside her bag in frustration.

Little did she know that someone was watching her. It was Yeri. Lisa's co-worker in the bar. She watched the whole fiasco with pitiful eyes.

~

"Here is today's salary for your hard work," Jisoo exclaimed with happiness.

She then plopped a beer and screamed joyfully "congratulate Yeri for graduating successfully!"

Everyone started clapping and one young lady beamed with joy "Good luck with studying abroad!"

"Study abroad?" Lisa asked in confusion.

"Yes, my family couldn't sponsor me for study in abroad. So I have to earn my way" Yeri explained, "Every unnie here is fighting for their dream."

"Dreams?" Lisa asked with her doe eyes.

"I wanna save up enough money to buy my first car" one said.

"I wanna buy a house in the mountains. In two years, I'll be living a peaceful life in the countryside." Another one said.

"I'm kinda boring. I just wanna buy a Chanel bag with my own money" yet another one.

"Lisa, you need to live for yourself" Yeri walked towards Lisa and patted her back "Helping your parents is filial piety. But you can't help your younger brother forever."

Lisa felt like an idiot standing next to them. Her past memories came rushing to her mind...

Lisa loved dancing as a young child. She wanted to go for dance classes, but her parents declined her saying that the tuition is expensive and they better start saving up the money before they become poor. Lisa couldn't go against them.

Once, when Jungkook and Lisa were strolling the streets together, one Dior lipstick caught her eye. She stood there, looking at it with fascination.

"You like this?" Jungkook asked. He then looked at the price tag. 400 won. He frowned "That... I'll buy it for you next month, okay?"

Lisa, sensing her boyfriend's discomfort, declined him "No, no, you don't have to. I just wanna have a look at it."

"Noona, buy me a phone with your bonus for me..." her brother had once asked, beaming with joy.

Lisa stared at her reflection 'Lisa, you've lived so dumbly...'

She decided to change.

From this year onwards, she wants to live for herself.

~

Lisa dolled up and went to a cafe to meet Jungkook.

"Lisa, I am already married. It's not good for us to meet alone" Jungkook hissed.

"So what?" Lisa retorted "Then call your wife and tell her you're meeting up with me. And tell her about the 82,900 won you owe me."

"That... I promise you I'll return the money if you give me some time. In two, no in one year!" Jungkook explained with panic stricken voice.

Lisa threw a stack of legal papers on the table and spoke with a stern voice "No, right now. Pay up or I'll see you in court." She folded her hands against her chest.

"Lisa... you ruthless!" Jungkook growled. He immediately transferred 82,900 won to her account using his phone. He then snorted, "Satisfied? After 7 years of being together, I just realised today how greedy you can be."

"Seven years..." Lisa gripped her cup of coffee tightly "I FED SEVEN YEARS OF MY LIFE TO A DOG!" She poured the coffee on Jungkook's face and turned around to leave.

Pang! Went the beer bottle. "Let's all congratulate Lisa for graduating!" (Graduating means she doesn't need to work in the bar anymore).

Lisa squealed in joy and looked at her co-workers, who in return gave her a warm smile. Lisa couldn't be more happier.

~

26 years old, is this called rebirth? Lisa doesn't know, but during the day, she's still that plain old sardine.

Squeezing herself in the subway, going to work. She's just like any other office lady.

"Lisa, wanna grab a bite?" Her manager asked.

Lisa smiled sweetly before replying "Sure!"

All her co-workers gathered together and exited the building gossiping.

"Lisa, How about watching a movie this weekend?" Her co-worker asked.

Lisa politely declined with a smile on her face " Can't. I have dance lessons this weekend."

As they were walking through the streets, her eyes spotted a Dior showroom. She stopped by the showroom and bought her favourite lipstick with a broad smile plastered on her face.

Lisa realised that living for herself is the most beautiful way of living life.

When you are not strong enough, you don't have the right to live for others. Put yourself first. It's not selfish to put yourself on the priority list. Living for yourself is the most beautiful thing in the world.

<end>

Sorry for the late update. I have my exams coming up 😭