1| We Are Young

Friday started mundanely with a cup of coffee and rock music blasting from the stereo

Friday started mundanely with a cup of coffee and rock music blasting from the stereo. Who knew by the end of the day, her life would change completely?

She sat on the couch, scrolling through her phone, a habit that stayed with her ever since she moved to Los Angeles four years ago. In the middle of the clumsy dog video, Scott's photo popped up on her screen. She paused the song and swiped the phone screen.

"Hi," she said, pressing the mobile to her ear.

"Hey, what are you doing tonight?" Scott's speech seemed unusually cheerful.

"Nothing, why?" She shrugged her shoulders.

"There is a party at Rory's house tonight. Do you want to come with me?" His voice sounded hopeful.

"I don't know Scott, it's Rory's party, so I'm not exactly eager to go," she whined, picking at the bottom of her shirt.

"Molly and Mason are coming too," he stated, clearly trying to convince her.

"You are joking, right?" She sat down, crossing her legs.

"No, I'm not. Come on, Sam. We didn't have a graduation party, and you have been sitting at home all week." He seemed out of breath.

She hesitated for a moment, considering the options, "You better have rum there," she finally said.

"Don't worry. I will make it happen. So you are going?"

"I'm in. Text me the address."

"Okay. Be there at eight," he paused for a moment. "Sam, I mean it, eight o'clock sharp."

"Okay, okay. See you at eight." Scott finished the call as soon as Sam confirmed her arrival time.

Sam graduated from university a week ago, and she's been spending most of her time at home, rethinking choices for the next chapter of her life. Since she lingered at home a lot, Scott's invitation to the party felt precisely what she needed. It had been a while since she took part in any group events. Not to mention getting ready to go out felt almost as fun as the party itself.

Two hours before the party she began her makeup routine, nothing too extravagant: foundation, some concealer. Most of her energy went to her eye makeup, with some neutral eye shadows, winged eyeliner, and two coats of mascara to accent her blue eyes. Sam curled her locks in immense waves, and they fell freely on her bare shoulders.

For the outfit, she picked her favorite: skinny black jeans with ripped knees and a deep purple shirt, which revealed both her shoulder tattoos. She glanced at her watch and realized it was already eight o'clock. One last look in the mirror showed her the tan from the gym's tanning bed, still made her skin glow. She never was a fake tan enthusiast, but now she could understand the appeal. She refreshed her scent with coconut body mist and teased her hair a bit.

Soon Sam tossed the keys and phone in her studded backpack before putting on her Doc Martens and rode the elevator downstairs. Usually, she drove her motorcycle everywhere. But she was a safe driver, and that day she felt in the mood for some alcohol. So she summoned an Uber. And when she stepped outside, a silver car waited by the side curve of the apartment building.