19| Smells Like Teen Spirit

Not long after Scott and Sam separated, Paul came for a visit

Not long after Scott and Sam separated, Paul came for a visit. To shed light on his findings in Scott's apartment.

"Did you find something new?" Sam asked as they walked to the living room.

The detective settled into the armchair. "We got into Scott's apartment," Pauls said. Sam raised her eyebrow. "But if something happens, I didn't tell you that."

"Something happens?" Sam asked, sitting on the couch.

"You don't need to know the details, for now." Paul shook his head. "I could get to his computer, but the information has strong encryption. My tech girl is working on it, but considering Scott's education and interest in technology it will take time to crack everything," he explained.

"It's illegal how you got the information, isn't it?" Sam asked, changing her seating position.

"I think you know the answer to that question," Paul replied, arching his eyebrow. Sam agreed with a nod. "I have a plan, and hopefully, it will work out. As far as I can tell, Scott is not aggressive, so your case will be easier than Raymond's was," he added. "I think the restraining order will be enough, but in case we will go to trial."

Sam interrupted Paul's speech, "Trial?!" she asked, surprised.

"I don't think we go that far," Paul explained, and Sam shook her head slightly. "Samantha, it's an actual possibility, and if that happens, you shouldn't know what exactly I do to get information," he concluded.

They cut the conversation short because Paul's phone rang. "What?" he said. "Be right there." He hung up the phone. "Sorry, Samantha, I have to go," he said and stood up, moving toward the exit and Sam followed him.

"Is the phone call about Scott?" she asked, tugging on the bottom of her shirt.

"No," Paul replied, putting on his shoes. "One more thing," he said. "Avoid your balcony." Sam's eyebrows bounced up from his words. "That is the only visible place from Scott's apartment." The detective opened the door and left. "Have a wonderful day, Miss Morris," Paul said, and Sam bent her head in agreement.

Samantha felt more comfortable knowing the inside of her apartment wasn't visible to Scott. Paul said Scott seemed not aggressive, but she knew better. In freshman year, Scott got into at least two physical fights. Perhaps Sam should've said that to the detective, but the bomb about a possible trial distracted her. But for now, she decided not to bother herself overthinking about that. Since she had to prepare for a game night.

The weather seemed delightful, therefore Ray and Sam walked to Molly's house. They met a few blocks away from Sam's apartment complex. Since it appeared that Scott watched her building. It was just a thirty-minute walk to Francis Avenue, where Mason and Molly lived. And considering problems with parking on the avenue, Ray left his car at one of the cafe's parking lots.

Molly and Mason have been together for two years, they moved into that flat a year ago. Before Molly lived with Sam, and Mason was Rory's roommate. The girls met Mason through one of the hangouts with Scott and Rory.