30| Safe in New York City

Samantha got a taxi from the airport and left straight for her grandma's house

Samantha got a taxi from the airport and left straight for her grandma's house. Technically, she wasn't in New York since the house was in New Rochelle. But she always preferred to stay out of the city than in her parent's apartment near Central Park.

Though Sam had to tip extra for the taxi driver since he seemed so hesitant to drive her outside the city. That changed his mood, and he even helped her unload the luggage. She took her bags and went to the stony pathway. The smell of roses mixed with rain reminded her of her childhood.

Sam's grandparents' house was relatively big. Not always been that way, they remodeled a few times, adding rooms to the original structure. The property itself had front and back yards, filled with many trees and flower bushes.

Sam came into the front yard and stared at the house. It seemed almost dark, the light in the kitchen stayed on, which made the house seem black, but it remained dark brown, gray-colored. Going further, Samantha noticed the light reflection on the grass, which showed that someone stayed in Michael's study.

Sam always loved staying in her grandparent's house, not because of the luxury of this house, but how welcoming it always felt for her. Sam went to the front door, taking off her shoes, and leaving her bag in the foyer. The house smelled like pine cleaner and peppermint. Samantha suspected her grandma sipped the peppermint tea in the study. Therefore, she went straight there.

Rose sat in a big armchair. A small table on her left side held a cup of tea. Steam swirled from the cup and the peppermint scent seemed stronger. The book covered her face as Sam reached the study.

Rose lowered her book. "Melissa, my dear," she said softly.

Sam glanced around in confusion. "Grandma, it's Samantha," she explained, examining Rose.

Rose put her book down on the table, placing a book tab in it. "Oh, yes, sorry, dear," she said. Rose stood up and went to greet Samantha. "I didn't know you were coming," she said and hugged Sam, kissing her cheek. "I would've been more prepared," Rose smiled.

Rose was dressed in a long cream-colored robe, her long, gray, thin hair held braided, hanging on the right side of her body. Her eyes resembled silver as the original green eye color seemed to fade away.

"Is Keith coming too?" Rose asked, scanning Sam. "Are you eating properly? You look a bit thin, for your condition?"

"Grandma, are you alright?" Sam questioned, scared and confused. "Sit down, and I will get us more tea," she added.

"Alright, my dear," Rose agreed. She sat back down in the chair, lifting her teacup toward her thin lips.

It seemed clear to Sam something wasn't right with Rose. Therefore, she traveled to the kitchen across the hall, trying to find a housekeeper. Sam heard soft jazz music playing in the background as she reached the kitchen.

Amber's camel-colored hair stayed in a slick topknot. The housekeeper wore a loose cardigan and a pair of black jeans. She cleaned the countertops, moving her wide hips to the tune, humming words under her nose. Amber lifted her head, and a smile appeared on her face, making creases around her eyes more visible.