5| Complicated

"Friends, you say," Ray said, smiling widely

"Friends, you say," Ray said, smiling widely. "I don't have a girlfriend. You probably missed that fact last night." He raised his eyebrow. "I'm blaming all the booze, I've been single for the last four months," he added in a chipper voice, leaning his back against the couch's backrest.

To say Samantha felt confused would decrease her feelings at that moment. Was I that drunk last night? Or I tuned out Raymond, as I often do. She stood up and took off the towel, letting her damped hair fall freely on the shirt. I remember his favorite band, but I have no recollection of what he said about his girlfriend.

Sam brushed her hair with her fingers. She said nothing as she reached for her coffee, feeling Raymond's sight following her every move. He waited for her answer, moving his feet up and down, in sync with the Lithium tune playing in the background. Does this new information change anything? She slightly squinted her eyes, looking at him, sipping her coffee. Trying to prolong her response, as she felt lost about what to say.

"Did that change how you feel about last night?" Ray asked, losing his patience.

"I don't want to sound like an obsessed fan or something," she said with a tremble. Great, now I put that idea in his head, weirdo. "But—I noticed some posts and photos related to you and the band, that's unavoidable at this point," she explained. "And even if I don't remember every detail from last night, your Instagram is filled with photos of your girlfriend." I have to stop talking, I sound desperate.

"Not anymore," he said, smiling. "Last night, I realized it looks like Courtney and I are still a couple, so when I got home, I deleted them. I'm guessing you're not an obsessed fan if you didn't see all the theories people were making up." He chuckled.

Her phone ring disrupted the conversation. Scott's photo was displayed on the screen, Sam leaned toward the coffee table to her mobile Ray glanced at her phone.

He motioned to the telephone. "You should get that," he said, taking a sip from the coffee cup.

She grabbed her phone from the coffee table and swiped the answer button. Walking toward the corridor so she could get some privacy.

"Hello," she answered, pressing her phone to her ear.

"Sorry for yesterday's rude words," Scott said. "I was drunk, and all that disappearing act you pulled on me didn't help," he excused himself.

"I'm sorry, too," she responded with a sigh.

"Right," he agreed. "So we are all going clubbing. Are you in?"

"Today?" Sam asked, confused.

"Yeah," he said.

"Definitely not today." She shook her head.

"Next weekend, then?" He pressed.

"I'm not sure," Sam said, doubtfully.

"You owe me," he said.