Chapter One

Dear Diary,

It's been a hard few months with the tragic death of my parents. My siblings are barely making it through and we haven't really spoken much to one another. Except for Jeremy and I..., we have always been close and I don't plan on changing that. Especially since the loss of our parents hit him harder than the three of us. I wish I knew how to help him but I also knew that he needed space to work through his pain. That didn't stop me from worrying about him.

Honestly, I'm here trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Trying to find peace with losing another set of parents. I was devastated for the first few months but now it's like I'm numb. I wasn't sure how to feel anymore. Except there were two emotions that I caught myself feeling; anger and resentment though I mostly just tie those two into one. I did my best to push those feelings away and for the most part, I was successful. But that didn't mean I didn't have my moments of disagreements or bouts of rage.

To make things even more strange is that today is the start of a new school year. A day to face everyone after my parents' funeral. I'm not sure how or what to feel but I'm sure I'll figure it out. I will no longer be the sad little girl who lost her parents. I will face today with a smile... At least I will try.

So Wish me luck,

Faye

I sighed as I put my journal away. I spent the summer reading and doing anything but go outside. The only time I did go outside was when we had to stay with the Forbes while Aunt Jenna got things in order to take care of us. I felt like I was being a burden seeing as I'm not related to the Gilbert's. I was adopted by Miranda and Grayson when I was two years old but I loved them as my parents. Mom told me when I was 14 years old that I was adopted since we did a family tree plus know your blood type kind of thing at school for a science project. She was going to take me to the lake house during the summer. She said she had something to give me but it never happened. Eventually, I didn't care to look for whatever it was that she had to give me. I couldn't bring myself to go there after they died. After all, I already felt like an outsider and I wasn't ready to go looking for who I was.

So instead I did everything in my power to make things a little bit easier for Aunt Jenna like make food since no one here can make food. Dad was always in charge of the cooking and I helped out, eventually getting pretty good at cooking. So I took it upon myself to take over instead of always eating out unless I was working late.

Anyways, I changed into a plain grey t-shirt and denim washed skinny jeans I paired it with black converse. I grabbed my school bag and headed downstairs.

"Toast. I can make toast." I heard Aunt Jenna say as I was walking towards the kitchen.

"Hey, Ani." I heard Jeremy call out to me as he came up from behind me.

"Hey, Jer," I answered with a smile as we walked towards the kitchen.

"It's all about the coffee Aunt Jenna." I heard Elena say as we entered the kitchen and I went to get my lunch ready.

"Is there coffee?" Jeremy asked as he walked towards Elena. While I listened as I got things out of the refrigerator as Jenna talked about not being prepared before she offered us lunch money.

Jeremy and I took it while Elena shook her head. "Anything else I'm missing?"

"That big presentation." I chimed in absentmindedly as I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

"Yeah, don't you have that today?" Elena agreed as she looked over at her.

"I'm meeting my thesis advisor at...now," she says after looking at her watch. She started to rush.