Chapter Six

3rd POV

In the distance, a trail of billowing smoke chased the sky as a home erupted in fire. Chanting filled the air from cloaked figures that surrounded the household. Beyond the scene of the roaring flames engulfing a soon-to-be-forgotten home, a woman ran with all her might through the surrounding forestry.

While the strangers' voices' murmurs began to fade, howls of wolves now pierced the night. A pack of them rushed the figures, striking them down without a second thought.

However, one of them split away and went after the woman; the scent of her sweat and fear intertwined together lingered in its nostrils. She came to a stop as the wolf stopped in front of her, shifting back into its human form.

His gaze held nothing but worry, "Melani! We can't hold them off much longer. You need to find a place to hide the child."

They both gazed down at the face of the beautiful girl nestled in a blanket, completely unaware of the severity of the situation. The man lightly stroked her cheek before hugging both the woman and child to his chest.

The moment was brief yet sweet; the pain of saying goodbye hung between as the man nodded at the woman, letting her go. His bones began to crack, and his skin wrinkled in awkward ways as his body transformed back into a wolf. Without hesitation, he headed back into the roaring flames that grew brighter. Tears welled up in her eyes as she whispered goodbye to her love. They slowly rolled down and pattered softly onto the cheeks of her daughter.

*4 years later*

A little girl was tied to a chair as two women stood on either side of her. They stood in a pentagram as the women took hold of each other's hands before chanting. The little girl screamed as she struggled against the rope. Her eyes glowed silver as the wind started picking up. The fire, growing higher, its heat intensifying.

"She's getting out of control. We need to stop her before she causes a wildfire!" one of the women yells over the wind's noise. 

"We take care of our own. I would end the child's life, but then the enchanted protection spell placed on her would wipe us out before we could touch her."

"It's not an option! I need to bring her back, Alive. Sealing her magic would be better than starting a war with the Blackwells. This way, the spell won't backfire on us."

"How do we know they are even still alive?"

"I'm not willing to risk it. Besides, I promised I would bring the girl back."

One of the witches blew a silvery powder into the little girl's face; her small eyes went wide before they fluttered shut. Her head hanging limply, her body no longer tense as the little girl's body slumped forward.

"Next time, don't make such promises. We protect our own, and the child will never be of our kind. She's an abomination."

The wind and fire returned to normal as the two women once again grasped each other's hands. Their chanting filled the air, making the flames rise angrily once more before settling still.

* * * * * * *

*Present Time*

Faye's POV

I shot up from my bed, waking up from the same recurring dream that I've been having for the past few days. My head pounding as I sat up, wishing I knew what was happening to me. These dreams are too vivid to be a figment of my imagination. I looked over to see the note on my bedside table.

We need to talk -Caleb.

Groaning, I plopped back down on my bed as I covered my eyes with my arm. I knew I did have to talk to Caleb about what happened three nights ago at the party. I just didn't know what to say.