2

I opened my eyes and tried to see through the tears and crust that was clouding my vision. I wasn't in the woods, nor was I back in my small house. Yellow light flooded around me but was the only thing I could make out through my irritated eyes.

        I shut them again, realizing that it would be a while before my eyes would clear up enough to see. I focused on my other sense. I could tell there was something surrounding me, and judging by the soft material, it was probably a blanket. And I could hear something else, a shuffling somewhere in the room. I took a breath, smelling ash that was either on me or in my nose, but also a spicy, earthy scent underneath that.

        There were definite footsteps that approached me before I heard a very gruff, "Open your eyes." I didn't know if I should trust this mystery voice, but I obliged, pulling open my aching lids and seeing the familiar cloud of my smoke damaged eyes. I was too late to noticed the figure above me before a bucket of water was dumped over my face.

        I coughed and sputtered. "What the hell?" I tried to shout, but it only came out as a crackling whisper from having not used my voice in a while and smoke inhalation.

        "Morning sunshine," a man standing by the side of my bed said to me, void of any humor. My vision was clearing somewhat and I could just make out his appearance. He wore dirty overalls and a plain white shirt, different colored stains and rips decorating his outfit. He had a shaggy beard and mustache and his face turned down in a frown as he stared at me. He was holding an empty bucket.

        I was furious, ready to yell and scream at him, but he cut me off just as I opened my mouth. "Who are you?" he asked.

        I looked him up and down again, trying to gleam some information about him. He was tall and his arms were wrapped with hard muscle and coarse brown hair. Something about the way he stood and held himself told me he wasn't any old farmer. His ice blue eyes were cold and hard, and he was looking at me as if I were infected with some contagious disease. He squinted at me, waiting for a reply, and I decided I did not want to anger him anymore than I unintentionally already did.

        "Kirby..." I said, sitting up and addressing him suspiciously. The cold air that hit my bare chest startled me and I grabbed the blanket, surprised that I was shirtless. I looked down at myself, realizing just about every inch of skin was cover with a bandage. A stick and some bandage served as a splint for my broken arm and the burns on my arms were also wrapped. I checked at the bite on my shoulder and saw flowers of blood underneath the white cloth. I winced when I tried to move my arm.

        "You'll be paying for all the materials I had to use on you," he said sternly, walking over and grabbing my arm. I yelped as he yanked it and pulled away the bloody bandage. He swore and rummaged through the chest on the other side of the room, pulling out more wool to dress my wound.

        I bit my lip, not wanting to look weak and pathetic in front of him. He re-wrapped my shoulder and began checking my other wounds. The bite on my neck was burning with pain, but apparently it was healing, as he didn't have to redo those bandages. I allowed him to invade my personal space until he began to reach for the blanket that covered me.

        "Your completely wrapped up," he told me, reaching for the blanket again. I understood that the bandages extended from my waist all the way up my rib cage, but I wasn't about to let him frisk me. I swatted away his hand.

        "I don't care," I said, "I don't know you."

        He brought his head up, his face inches from mine. It was the first time he looked me in the eye, and I impulsively flinched from the anger that clouded around his irises. "Sjin," he spat.

        I still didn't trust him, and his bitterness only made me more wary of him. "That's a weird name for a person," I retorted.

       He gave me a pointed look. "What girl is named Kirby?" he asked, biting the words harshly.

        I was stunned into silence and he took the chance to check the wounds on my side where the zombie had wracked me. His hands wrapped almost all the way around my waist and he twisted me to get a better view. I cried out as I felt a wave of pain shoot through my body. "Oh," Sjin said gruffly, "and you have a broken back. So...try not to move." It was as if he was saying I had something on my face instead of a crippling injury.

        "Lovely," I said, rolling my eyes and laying back down.

        He looked towards the door as if he wanted to leave, but I had so many questions to ask this bastard. "How did you find me?" I drilled him quickly as he took a step towards the door.

        "You know, normally I don't pay any attention to the naked dead girls on my front lawn, but I thought I'd mixed it up a little this time," he said, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning onto one leg.

        I rolled my eyes again, not appreciating the sarcasm. "And then what?" I snapped.

        "And then I exhausted my supplies on you! What do you think?" he spat, ncrossing his arms to make a harsh questioning motion. I finched again and then mentally scolded myself for being so jumpy.

        I gritted my teeth, trying to maintain a calm composure and not go off on him. "Did I do something to you?" I asked, bitterness leaking into the question. He didn't say anything, just gave an exasperated sigh and stormed out of the room and down the stairs outside of the door.

        What was his problem?

        I sighed, feeling vulnerable and frustrated. I looked around the room, trying to get my bearings. He didn't seem to be keeping me locked in here, but I don't think I'm in any condition to run away at the moment anyway. I sat up, looking out the window across from my bed. I could just make out a barley field and an expanse of grass before the burned out husk of the forest came into view. The sun was rising over the charred trees, and it looked extremely gloomy and depressing.

        I returned my gaze to the room, shuttering at the memories. I must have been out for a day or two, for I knew it was almost sunrise by the time I had reached this place and passed out, and Sjin had to have spent a lot of time tending to my wounds.

        I felt somewhat guilty at that thought. After all, he did save my life, and it would have taken a lot of wool and whatever else he used as a poultice to treat every wound. I must have seemed very selfish and ungrateful, no wonder he was so angry and sarcastic. I made it a point to apologize to him the next time I saw him.