4.

RASHAAD

I parked my car allowing the valet to open my door. I gave him the keys before walking around and grabbing Gia's hand and heading inside. I gave them my name and was immediately led to a private room. As soon as we walked in, my dad and Joy looked at us smiling then stood up.

I let go of Gia and walked up to my dad hugging him. The last time we saw each other was awkward so there was no hugs but this time was different. I missed my pops more than I let on. I let him go and hugged Joy as well. I missed her too. Joy was always an amazing bonus mom. She had my back even if it meant going against my dad at times.

Once I let her go I waved Gia over to introduce them.

"Pops, Joy" I smiled at Gia "This is my beautiful fiancé Gianna. Gia this is my pops and bonus mom"

"It's a pleasure to meet you guys"

She extended her hand and Joy looked at it before shaking. I know Joy is a hugger but she always checks peoples boundaries. My dad however pulled her into a hug only to let her go when she didn't really hug back. Gia wasn't the affectionate so hugs came few and far between.

"Let's sit" Joy said breaking through the awkwardness "How have you been Papo?"

"Whoa" I smiled laughing "I haven't heard that in forever... Umm I been good. Everything's been great. How have you guys been?"

"Wonderful!" She smiled "Just missing one thing but we've been great"

"Missing—"

"You! Duh" Joy laughed

"I missed you guys too"

"So Gianna, tell us about you?"

"Oh well I'm from here. I met Shaad in high school and we've been ya ever since. Umm I went to LSU for fashion design. I have an online boutique I'm hoping to expand"

"Wow that's great"

"Yeah she's amazing" I added

"Thanks Ms. Greyson"

"So son" my dad interjected "Any word yet?"

"Nahh but I'm going to New York next week to meet with the coach and owner"

"Will you be coming Gianna?"

"No ma'am. I have to put the finishing touches on the wedding and make sure everything will be perfect"

"I keep telling her to stop worrying about it. She just determine to stress herself and the wedding planner out"

"It's her wedding day Papo"

"It's mine too"

"You'd miss your own funeral" my dad joked "But I'm glad everything is going well for you two. Joy does wedding planning through her interior design business. Maybe you two could talk about the wedding before we leave"

"She doesn't—"

"I would love too!" Gia cut her off "The theme is Paris in Spring!"

"Well how about we go shopping tomorrow and talk then. I need to get my goddaughters some home favorites"

"Oh yes!"

We talked some more throughout dinner and dessert. My dad being my dad was adamant about paying until I finally gave in. We headed out with Joy and Gia walking ahead talking.

My dad and I agreed to kick it while they went out. It felt great having my dad and Joy. I felt like I was on cloud 9 the whole way home. Everything was falling back into place.

MICHIKO

I sat on the couch watching Lucifer and eating my gumbo from earlier. I sighed hearing the door open. I watched as Papi and Joy walked in smiling. I was happy for them but irritated that I let them and Shy convinced me to come back here. She was with her mom so I haven't seen her much since the flight in yesterday.

"You okay baby girl?" Papi sat beside me

"Just ready to go back home"

"This is technically home too"

"It's not my home anymore. All I have in is city is bad memories. I don't want to ruin you guys trip so just ignore me"

"Baby girl" he sighed "I know this is hard for you... but I wouldn't be the man I am if I didn't try to make all of this right"

"For what Papi?"

"Because it's what Ara deserves"

"My baby has been alive for going on 4 years. She's been thriving with how things are. Why disturb that? For a guy who doesn't even acknowledge that she exist? Papi I know he's your son... but he's also the same guy that abandon us and denied my daughter. No good came come from this. Let's just leave it how it is"

"That's not right Michiko. He was wrong for everything he did... but it doesn't make it right to allow her to grow up without a father"

"She has you! And one days hopefully she'll have my husband! Why does she need him?!"

"Because no matter who is around... they can't take his place. She's literally him reincarnated. From her attitude to her beautiful face"

"Papi please don't ruin your chance at mending y'all relationship with this. I'm good with how life is now. If he doesn't want—"

"I'll back off, I promise... but let me try... for Ara at least"

"Yeah" I sighed

"Go get some sleep"

I nodded as he got up and headed to their room. My mind was clouded with memories to the point that couldn't focus on anything else. I sighed laying my head back on the couch. This was going to be some shit I just wasn't ready for.