February 26, 2020 - Coming Soon: Home Content Preferences

Hi Wattpadders -

Last summer, we told you all about a new Home feed we were launching. As we shared in a mammoth update, Home feed was designed and built for you. Yes you, the members of our diverse, creative, and passionate community.

In that update, we shared that we were aware of many of the challenges you were facing with the previous Home feed experience. These challenges included feeling like you were being recommended stories you didn't want to see (or that even made you feel like you didn't belong on Wattpad 😱) and or that you had very little control over the stories that were recommended to you in Home. Ideally, you told us, you wanted a way to dismiss or indicate your disinterest in certain stories or entire genres.

We also shared some of the long-term solutions we were working on to help address these features. Today, we are sharing a sneak peek of one of those solutions, rolling out next week -- a small but oh-so mighty addition to the Home feed experience: Home Content Preferences.

With the new Home Content Preferences feature, we'll be introducing a way for you to have more control over your Home feed experience. With these settings, you'll find two long-awaited improvements:

Include Mature: Now, you decide if you want to see Mature stories on your Home feed (if you're of age), through a simple 'on' and 'off' toggle.

Blocked Tags: Control which stories you don't want to see in the Home feed with the ability to block certain story tags. This means stories with tags you select in Blocked Tags will not show up as recommendations in your Home feed any more. Not a fan of fanfic? No problem!

This new feature will be available to all users around the world on web, iOS, and Android over the course of the next few weeks. If you don't see this option yet on your Home feed on your mobile device, please make sure you have the latest version of the Wattpad app.

To check out Home Content Preferences, navigate to your Home feed and make sure you're at the top of the screen. You'll see a "filter" icon right under the Home feed carousel (if available) -- and, if on desktop, the words 'Content Preferences' next to it. This will take you to your Home Content Preferences settings page.

Based on the comments on our initial posting, we know a lot of you felt like the original new Home launch didn't solve everything we set out to achieve. Please know that we're not done — there is lots left we want to accomplish with new Home but we hope you'll agree Home Content Preferences will get us a lot closer to the vision we shared with you in the summer. We thank you for your patience as we worked on this (we certainly don't want to break Wattpad by rolling out new features too quickly!). We're so excited to continue to improve upon your Home feed experience. Our goal is to ensure Home lives up to the vision of making everyone feel more at home (through Home!) on Wattpad.

We'll continue to share updates as we make ongoing improvements to Home.

- Your friends at Wattpad HQ