6: The Rains

After leaving Dylan's room, Yue walks into the dining room to join the other girls for breakfast

'Ooh look who decided to join us for breakfast.' Spews Liqin. 'Miss High and Mighty!'

Yue says nothing and sits down. The other girls are surprised to see her there as well. Changying, one of Wang Zhiqiang's concubines, the oldest and also the most sensible and neutral girl, gives Yue a side long glance.

'It's unusual to see you here for breakfast, especially on a Sunday morning? Everything okay?'

'Maybe Master He Di has grown tired of her.' Sneers Liqin.

'Shut your mouth Liqin! I wasn't talking to you.' Snaps Changying.

Changying is also very adept at putting people into their place. She does not suffer fools.

Liling makes the mistake of giggling at this. Already jealous of all the time Bolin spends with Liling, Liqin gives her an eye so evil, that the girl immediately stops laughing and looks down at her plate.

'Looks like someone is giving someone the evil eye because they are jealous.' Cackles Cuifen, who also doesn't give a damn.

Being one of Master Zhiqiang's concubines, comes with the highest ranking in the house, so his girls are not afraid of any of the other concubines. This fact is a thorn in Liqin's side. At first she was grateful that she was in Master Bolin's harem, because in truth, he is a very beautiful looking man, like his brother, so she was instantly attracted to him, when she first laid eyes on him.

 A young girl herself, she was very afraid that she would have to bed the old man. But now, seeing how fearless and untouchable Wang Zhiqiang's women are, makes Liqin's blood boil. And this is one of the reason's Liqin likes to pick on Yue. Being Wang He Di's concubine, puts her at the bottom of the totem pole.

'You haven't answered my question Yue? Everything alright? You usually eat breakfast with Master He Di, even sometimes during the week.'

'Oh his father wanted to see him for breakfast. I don't have any more details other than that.' Yue answers quietly.

Changying creases her forehead, trying to think what it could be all about. She looks at the other girls from her harem.

'Did Master Zheqiang say anything to you? Cuifen...Biyu....Jinjing.... Daiyu?'

All the girls shake their head. Yue is feeling uneasy about Changying's curiosity. Is it really such a big deal that Dylan was summoned for breakfast?

At that moment, Madame Hong comes into the dining room, all business. Behind her is a timid looking girl, whom they have never seen before. Madame Hong scans the table, and points to the one remaining seat at the table for 10.