Kusum's story (Interlude)

A/N: This is Kusum's back story.

Warning: Auto corrects and typos are always behind my back so please forgive me for any mistakes. And please don't get mad at my attempt at typing Hindi, it is NOT my First or Second language so I am prone to make mistakes. 

Kusum had understood at a very young age that she was different from the others. She was usually a shy yet bubbly person who was always seen running around everywhere. So much that her teacher had once asked her to take part in a running race (which she won, first place Sunaina ji)

So, it was not a very big surprise for her when she started to get attracted to girls and boys when she hit puberty. She took it in her stride and started flirting with both the genders without any hesitation if someone started to flirt first. School got over, so did college and then started the drama called 'when will you marry'.

Her parents want her to get married as soon as possible, her relatives were showing her pictures of boys every time they came over and it was starting to reach the melting point until the day Sunaina Tripathi came over with her proposal.

It was one of the normal days in her life. She was just lazing around in her house when he overheard the conversation between her mother and Sunaina Tripathi.

"Kusum toh ab shaadi ki age ho chuki hai, kab uski shaadi karoge tum log?" Sunaina Tripathi asked. (Kusum is of Age for marriage right now, when are you going to get her married?)

"Hum tayaar hai uski shaadi karne ke liye, par woh hamesha mana kar rahi hai. Uske saath kya karoon? Kuch samaj nahi aa raha" her mother complains. (We are ready to get her married, but she always says no to anyone. What should we do with her? I cannot understand what I should do.)

"Kisi ladke ka chakkar nahi hai na? Shaayad wohi ho saktha hai" Sunaina commented. (She is not in love with anyone is she? That can be the reason)

"Arey, bachpan se woh ladki sabke saath chakkar chala rahi hai, kis ko batha kya ho raha hai?" she said. (That girl has always been seen with someone since childhood, who knows what is happening?) 

"Ek solution hai mere paas. Mera beta Aman bhi kuch samay ke liye shaadi karne se mana har raha hai. Kyoon na un dono ka shaadi kardenge?" Sunaina suggested. (I have a solution. My son Aman is also refusing to get married for quite some time. Why don't we get them married?)

Her marriage? With her son Aman? That very Aman who she had gone out with as a 3rd wheel during school/college days?

"Yeh toh bohot achcha idea hai. Aman ke waapas ane ke baad ek baar usse milvado, toh rishta pakki." she agreed. (That is a great idea. Let us meet with Aman after he returns, we can then finalise the marriage)

"Kusum beti! Idhar aao! Kuch baath karni hai tujse" her mom called and she did some drama like she wasn't listening in on the conversation and went inside the room. (Kusum! Come here! I have to talk about something with you)

"Beti, yah Sunaina Tripathi hai, aur humara ichcha hai ki tum uske bete ke saath shaadi karogi." her mom explained. 'As if' she thought as she saw Sunaina ji take out a photograph. (Daughter, this is Sunaina Tripathi and we wish that you will marry her son)

"Yeh, mera beta Aman hai aur... tum uske saath shaadi karne ke liye haan kehdogi toh humko bohot kushi hogi" Sunaina said as she showed the photo. Kusum started at the photo, focusing more on the girl standing beside Aman than Aman himself. (This is my son Aman and we will be happy if you agree to marry him)

"Um... kuch samay le loon jawab dene ke liye?" Kusum asked. "Ji, zaroor! Take your time! Koi urgency nahi hai. Kuch baar humare ghar bhi aao, shaayad kuch humare parivaar ke baare mein bhi jaan jaaoge." Sunaina suggested. (Um... can I take sometime before I say my answer?) (Sure! Take your time! There is no urgency. Come over sometime, you can also get to know the family)

"Teek hai auntiji, main todi dher sochkar apna jawab bataungi" Kusum said with finality and fled towards her room with the picture still in hand. (Ok aunty, I will give my answer in some time)

She then decided that she will go along with their plans until she gets her opening to escape. And this drama ultimately led her to Goggle Tripathi - The chubby, cute girl who was loud and bold enough to convey whatever she wanted to say (And the one she was attracted to in the picture itself). There were initial misgivings, of course there were with Goggle knowing that Aman was gay and would never consider marrying her and Kusum being thrown off by Goggle's initial attitude towards her. But then, Kusum realised that she was falling in love with Goggle.

She had tried to convey her love many times to Goggle, in private or by pulling her aside, never say that she hadn't tried. 

"Goggle, mujhe tumse kuch baath karni hai" Kusum said. "Kya hai?" Goggle asked. "Woh... um... Tum... Aman ko kya pasandh hai?" Kusum redirects, backing away at the last minute. (Goggle, I want to talk to you about something.) (What is it?) (That... um... You... What does Aman like?)

And that was what happened every time she wanted to confess, the fear of rejection had always stopping her from doing so. Soon, Goggle's marriage was fixed and Aman was coming home soon and Kusum had nearly lost all hope.

The hope which was once again reignited when she saw Aman and Kartik kissing in front of everyone in the mandap, not caring of the world that might criticise them for it. It was then a plan slowly started to form in her mind, thus leading her back to Aman.

A/N: Hope you all like it. All comments and criticism accepted and appreciated! This fic is betaed by girl.with.passion who writes on Fanfiction.net, try out their books, it's amazing! Any prompts are welcome.

Thank you all for reading!!!!

Rasnak signing off :) ;)

UPDATED ON 28 FEBRUARY 2020