Hotter Than Hell and Six Shades of Georgia (James)

***A/N: If you're looking for a perfectly edited piece of work, this is not it. You WILL find grammar mistakes, and tense mistakes, especially in the first 3 chapters. If you're looking for a non fiction, primary source, 100% historically accurate book this is not the one. I've had many people point these things out (even if you don't see the comment, doesn't mean it hasn't been brought up via message), so rest easy! Errors will be fixed. This is my first draft, and as you know, first drafts contain many mistakes. If this bothers you, don't read the story. With that said, I hope you can enjoy the story I've put together so far!:)***

~May 12, 1861~

"It's hotter than six shades of hell out'er!" James exclaims as he wipes the sweat from his brow.

James' childhood friend, Adam, chuckles in response, "James, you know it's only mornin', right?"

James shrugs as he lifts his canteen up to his lips for a drink of water and shrugs. "Doesn't mean it ain't hot."

James clicks his tongue and gives the oxen a good slap with the heavy leather reins. The oxen seem to grunt as they slowly move forward, no more excited about working in the heat than James is. Adam walks beside them. His friend often times visits him when he's bored. James likes it because it gives him someone to talk to during the long, and hot summer days.

"Say, James, you know you could always borrow a couple of our slaves to plow your fields. I still don't get why you don't. It's not like we don't have plenty. You're like my kin, and you know our parents are close too."

James scratches the back of his head uncomfortably. It was a touchy subject between the two best friends, and he hated when Adam brought up slaves and letting James' family borrow some to help them with their farm. His family was poor; they only owned one slave and took pride in keeping up their land on their own. It wasn't fancy work, but it was honest work and it put food on their table- most of the time. James and his father didn't need nor want a charity gift of slaves from Adam's family, the McBrides. They could fare just fine. Besides, something always gnawed at his stomach when he thought about slavery. Slavery was justified though, right? That's what everyone else seemed to think anyways.

Adam's family owned a large plantation, lots of slaves, and regularly held grand parties at their mansion. James never understood the fancy suits and gowns, the fake conversations and the overly "nice" people. It always seemed as if a rose colored glass window was constantly covering up the truth behind these well to do families, and what lay beneath these people's facade, was a nasty and unhappy life from what James had witnessed. But his friend seemed to love the high ride life and James didn't really judge him for it.

James' lively blue eyes drift upward to look at his friend, finally responding, "You know we don't like charity, Adam." Adam brushes it off with a shrug. James continues, "besides, I wouldn't look this good if I didn't do all the work I do on the farm," he adds humorously with a wink, stopping to flex his toned arm muscles.

Adam laughs and punches James' bicep in response, "I guess that's why all the girls like you. You're poor, but dammit you're way better looking than I am." And it was undoubtedly true, James had golden blonde hair, olive skin, and bright blue eyes that mirrored the sky. Adam was average.

Eventually, the friends decide its time to part ways. As Adam is getting ready to leave, he stops and turns towards James, "Come to the party tonight. It's the weekend and you deserve some fun." Adam's eyes light up mischievously, "There's this pretty girl named Becky coming. I'll introduce you two."

James is seventeen & Adam is sixteen, and the topic of girls is always at the forefront of their conversations; that and the war anyways.

"How can I pass that up?" James responds lightheartedly. He loved meeting new girls, especially pretty ones, but always lost interest quickly. The girls his parents had him meet were always too serious and lacked banter, and the ones Adam introduced him to were too frilly and their heads seemed to be filled with too much air. One day he'd find a pretty girl who was both smart and funny.

***********************************************************************************************

James finished unharnessing, feeding, and putting up the oxen for the day. He was placing the harness back on its hook when he heard a little girl's shrill voice calling his name.

"James, James, James!!" James barely looked up in time before his little sister smothered him in a tight, and excited hug.

"Guess what!" Mae exclaimed loudly.

"What is it Mae Mae?" James asked, squatting to the ground and lifting his five-year-old sister onto his knee.

"Daisy had babies! They came poppin clear out of her butt! I saw it! Mama said I could name the puppies if I want."

James smiled fondly at his little sister. She was a firecracker and made him laugh with her childish logic and innocent view of the world. He oftentimes wished he was her age again. Life was so much easier; no worries, work, war, or conflict beyond other kids taking your toys. Those were the days.

"That's amazing, Mae! How about you show them to me?" James picked up his sister and put her on his back for a piggy ride.

"Yay! A piggyback ride!" Mae wrapped her arms tightly around James' neck.

"I love you, James! You're the best big brother ever," Mae exclaimed out the blue, hugging James' neck tightly. Clearly she was excited about the puppies James thought. She was a very emotional and energetic little thing, jumping from emotion to emotion constantly. Nevertheless, his heart warmed at his sister's exclamation.

"You're just saying that because I convinced Ma and Pa to let you keep the puppies when they were born," James says with a chuckle. Mae didn't respond, just hugged her brother tighter, her mind on the puppies.

James' father never said the word "love" to either his Ma, his sister and definitely not to him. James could never really figure out why, beyond the fact that his father never wanted to appear weak, and that the word "love" was for the women and was "weak" according to his pa.

He liked to think that he was a strong man too, and wanted to be like his pa as much as he could, but why was saying, "I love you", a sign of weakness? Didn't God love his people? James' mind wondered again. His brain wouldn't stop nagging him about different things like slavery, being a strong man, and mainly the war. He needed answers.

"Son," his pa greets him as he walked through the door, barely looking up from his newspaper. James says hi to his father, before walking over and giving his mother a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm gonna head on over to Adam's house after dinner. He's havin' a party and I ain't gonna say no again." James says as he scoops some soup into a bowl.

His father never talked much, and never seemed to care what James did, as long as he kept up the farm with him.

"Alright, but don't you go flirtin' with all those rich, well to do girls. You know they ain't sensible." His mother gave James a pointed look. James wasn't into partying, mostly because he spent most of his time working. But his ma knew well enough that James was good looking and could charm most girls with just his smile.

"Ma, don't you worry about me. I'll be fine," James replied his mouth full of rolls.

After dinner, James changed into some new clothes, hopped on the family's only horse, old Barney, and set off for Adam's plantation. It wouldn't be a long ride.

As he saw the bright, shimmery lights of Adam's home in the distance his eyes brightened and he grinned. He was excited to dance, drink, and talk to the girls.