The Other Side (James)

James couldn't tell whether or not the tingling in his stomach was excitement or nervousness. Perhaps it was a combination of both, but either way, James was curious and ready to meet the soldiers. A part of him wondered if any of the soldiers they were meeting up with were somehow connected with the boy he had killed in battle; what if they recognized him? The thought was ultimately fleeting, and James focused on the moment instead of the past.

"Can I get a light?" Asked a chubby, beady-eyed boy from the other side.

James eyed the boy carefully, sizing him up for a moment, before nodding and leaning over the boy's cigar to light it. The air was thick with uncertainty. The boys were flirting with danger. James wondered if he was to act harsh and tough since they were enemies or act like friendly acquaintances. The rest of the boys seemed to not know how to act either. Thankfully, Adam stepped up to the occasion.

"Well, boys, tonight we trade cigars and coffee like old friends, and tomorrow, we fight!" Adam exclaimed confidently, holding up a jar filled with glassy clear liquid.

"A peace offering, to my Yankee friends. Have a drink," Adam said, his eyes lit up with mischief and excitement.

The men seemed excited to partake in the strong alcohol, and the overall atmosphere seemed to lighten almost immediately and the men began to exchange conversation.

Adam found James standing awkwardly next to a chubby blue-coated soldier. He grinned as he made eye contact with his friend, and took a long swig of his moonshine and marched over to James and shoved the jar into James' hand.

"Have some 'shine, James, and share some with your friend here."

James raised an eyebrow at Adam, wondering how on earth he had obtained the Moonshine, but figured with Adam, anything was possible. James took a swig, looked at the Yank, shrugged, and gave the boy the jar.

"Uh, well, thank you." The boy looked surprised as he took a small sip.

"There ya go. Enjoy conversation with my friend here tonight, because tomorrow... well, let's just say he's a good shot, " Adam said with a chuckle. William didn't seem to think the comment was funny, as he nervously wrung his pudgy hands.

"See ya around, James. I got to share my welcoming gift with everyone," Adam said, clearly having had more than one sip of the alcohol.

James smoked his last cigar next to the soft-looking Yank. The boys were silent for a while, until James finally spoke.

"What's your name? Got any news you can share? 'cause we don't get much news round here," James said, his blue eyes studying the shorter boy. His uniform was new, hardly worn. James envied the boy a bit, and wished he had his shiny, unworn boots.

"My name is William. I just joined the war but only a week or two ago. I have yet to see much action," the greasy boy responded quickly, not meeting James' gaze.

"So, what is it like? Have you been in battle yet?" William asked nervously, his demeanor clearly showing he had indeed, not been through battle or much military life.

James sighed, "Jus' be glad you haven't, William. It ain't as glorious as you might be thinkin'."

William seemed to have ants in his pants as he shifted back and forth and his eyes flitted back and forth between James' boots, to his fellow Yanks. James wondered if he was intimidating to the Yankee, or the boy was just that uncomfortable.

"You got any cards, William? Or coffee?" James asked, starting to feel more at ease with the situation. He had the upper hand, and he knew it. William was a ball of nerves, inexperienced, and way too soft and uptight to be a threat to James. Was this the kind of men they were fighting?

"Sure. I'll take your tobacco in exchange for cards and a bit of coffee."

The boys exchanged their items.

"Well, I'm going to see the other guys. Nice meetin' ya, William, I-"

James was cut off by William's unexpected question.

"What are you fighting for, James?"

James was taken aback. What kind of question was that?

"For my country, family, and freedom," James replied confidently.

William nodded.

"Me too. But I think we are talking about two different 'freedoms'," William replied.

"It was nice meeting you too, James. I wish you the best of luck."

As William retreated, James watched after him, his mind racing. Two different freedoms? There was only one, the freedom of the south to care for their crops and land and the ability to use slaves to do it. He knew the Yanks were obviously fighting for the freedom of slaves, but tonight was the first time he had really thought about it. James again, for the first time in a while, felt the familiar itch in the back of his brain questioning if slavery was truly ok.

The soldiers were beginning to part ways and James noticed a photograph lying in the dirt. It was a picture of a beautiful girl around James' age. She had dainty features and doe-like eyes. She was absolutely captivating and James felt the sudden desire to know exactly what color her eyes and hair were. He flipped over the picture and saw the name Josephine written on the back of the  photo.He glanced up from the picture to return it to William, but he had already disappeared into the darkness.

James felt guilty as he slid the picture of the captivating girl into his rugged and worn coat jacket. There was just something about her that kept James wondering.

"I don't know 'bout you James, but those boys seemed no different than us. Except for them fancy uniforms and proper talkin'," Adam said.

"Yeah, they ain't too different, I reckon. Though that William Yank is too soft to be out in a war like this," James said with a sigh. For some reason, William hadn't seemed like an enemy at all, but just another boy like James. He hoped he didn't have to shoot at William.

Adam scoffed. "Then he ain't gonna last long."

"Anyways, I done and got me some good stuff, James!" Adam said, slinging an arm around James' shoulder.

"Yeah, next time you goin' to get us some real food? 'shine is great an all, but it ain't satisfy my stomach," James chuckled.

Adam laughed lightheartedly, "But Moonshine is good for the soul."

The boys laughed together for the first time in a long time, the realities of war shifting to the back of their brains for just a few moments of lighthearted ignorance.

***A/N: Hi readers! I apologize for the slow update. I spilled liquid on my laptop, and it broke the keyboard. I finally have a working laptop and new keyboard! Please consider voting and commenting if you enjoyed this chapter!***