The Girls Back Home (James)

Excitement and fear permeated just about every single one of the boy's minds as they prepared to leave training and head straight to war; excitement to fight for the South and fear of the unknowns and possibility of death. The boys had only been training under Drill Sargeant for just over a day, and judging by the discombobulated marching and confusion over some of Sargeant sunshine's instructions, the idea of the gangly, war-hungry, and ill practiced boys being thrown straight into war could be viewed as fool-hearty. In the time of war, patriotism and the great need for soldiers drove the Confederates to oftentimes allow untrained soldiers straight into the battlefield. This was the case for James' and his battle buddies as they began their trek to the battle lines.

James ran a tanned hand through his blonde hair. He could feel his heartbeat quicken as he thought about finally getting the chance to make his Pa and country proud. He was fired up and ready to put the Union in their place, but a small part of him doubted whether or not they were ready to be thrown into war. Just the day before, Private Henshaw had stepped on one of the other soldier's boots while marching, causing the soldier to trip forward and accidentally set off his rifle. Thankfully, none of the boys were hurt, but the Private had to endure the boiling wrath of Sargeant sunshine for the remainder of the day. It wasn't pretty, and the thought of yesterday's events made James grimace. He had thought Drill SGT hated him, but that was until he saw the way he punished Private Henshaw.

"I can just see myself takin' down a Yank," Adam said, snapping James out of his thoughts.

Adam was pretending to hold an imaginary rifle, aiming to fire at the imaginary Union soldier.

The other boys voiced their gungho agreements, their eyes shining lustfully at the thought of war.

James chuckled and shook his head. Unlike him, Adam seemed to be all patriotism and enthusiasm; not a worry in the world. Despite being slightly nervous, James was excited and definitely ready to get away from the Drill Sargeant above all else.

"Yeah, I'm just glad I ain't gotta deal with sunshine no more. My arms feel like they'd done and gone been beat a 'undred times over," James commented, wiping the sweat from his brow.

"Say, James, your arms do look even bigger. I swear it ain't fair how you go an' look like that while my arms stay lookin' like my sisters," grumbled an indignant Private White, holding up his thin, twig-like arms for the rest of the boys to see.

James laughed, his eyes twinkling with amusement. Private White was good for them, he was the clown of the group and always found a way to make people laugh, even if it was making fun of himself.

"Keep doin' pushups and you'll be attractin' all the ladies soon enough," James replied with a boyish grin and a wink.

James was sandwiched between Private White and Adam as they marched through the trodden grass. Their steps seemed to resound together, making a uniformed thump as they marched. The soldiers were making their way through the beautiful but scorching hot Georgian countryside. James glanced at Private White who was grinning ear to ear with his toothy, and rather ridiculous smile. White nudged James with his elbow, seemingly very excited to share something.

"I already got a girl, boys," Private White announced proudly.

James' eyebrows furrowed in surprise and Adam guffawed in response.

"No, I ain't pullin' your leg! I know you think I ain't good lookin' enough for a lady, but I guess my good humor makes up for it," Private White laughed, enjoying seeing the other boy's faces.

James took a good, long look at Private White. The guy was far from attractive by any means, and he was a rather odd fellow to boot. He didn't understand how Private White had snagged a lady with his rather awkward appearance. Didn't girls look for guys who looked good? Or was that personality? He didn't know what girls really wanted, he finally concluded.