Blushed Cheeks and Fake Smiles (James)

The elegant, Victorian-styled mansion was lit up with soft yellow lights, and the sound of laughter and deep southern accents wafted through the open front doors. The front yard was filled with vibrant wildflowers, and encased in a perfect white picket fence. At first glance, the plantation mansion looked beautiful and immaculate. But if you peered closer, you would see something less appealing to the eye; something ugly, depressing and egregious.

The slave quarters were expertly hidden with large oak trees and abundant, flowered bushes. Only if you looked closer, you'd see that the small, cramped shed looking building was not a shed to store tools, but a poor excuse of a house for the McBrides' slave hands and maidservants.

James' stomach started to flutter with the same uneasiness he got every time he thought about/saw the slaves at work. Sure, it was what his friends, family, and the majority of the South thought were okay and the way of life. He had heard over and over again, that if they didn't have slaves as free labor, then many plantations would struggle to exist- crops would die off, and there would be a lack of hands to tend the harvests and lands.

But was it moral?

James' gaze drifted towards the shack-like building. He watched as a young man around his age dressed in worn and torn clothes makes his way towards the dedicated slave outhouse. The McBrides were nothing close to being poor, in fact, quite the opposite, yet they couldn't properly clothe their slaves? James shook his head in disgust.

"Hey man!"

James was greeted with a slap on the back by Adam, the uneasy feeling left him as soon as Adam said hi.

The potent smell of alcohol lingered on Adam's lips. Apparently the party had already begun- or at least, the drinking had.

"Hey brother," James replied, a smile spreading onto his lips.

James glanced down at the curvy girl hanging on Adam's side. She was holding onto Adam as if her life depended on it. Her bright red lipstick and heavily brushed on blush was meant to make her look like a beauty queen, but she looked more like she was trying to hide her face. James always hated when women caked-on makeup- he was sure they must be hiding something underneath it all.

"Well hi there, honey!" The curvy girl cooed at James, letting her death grip on Adam's arm fall. She sidled up to James instead, batting her eyelashes at James flirtatiously.

"Hey Daisy," James replied with a wink. He wasn't interested in Daisy whatsoever but wanted to get a rise out of his best friend, and sure enough, it did.

"Hey now, don't go stealin' my date, James," Adam laughed humorously, but with a little edge.

"Careful now, I'm about to make all the ladies swoon," James bantered.

"Come on in and grab some moonshine or something to drink and I'll introduce you to Becky. She's a real pretty one. I think you guys will get on."

James followed Adam and Daisy into the piano room where the life of the party was at. An African American slave played on the piano, bopping his head and swinging along to the music he played. And man was he good. The guests mingled and chat with one another, the single guys wooing and stealing glances at the pretty girls, while the girls sidled up and flirted as much as was societally allowed.

The women's dresses were made of fine materials, and the men all wore tailored suits. The servants milled about, replenishing beverages and finger foods, and attending to any general needs of the guests.

"Hey, Ben- I mean John- or whatever your name is, go fetch my friend a drink, and make it fast," Adam called offhandedly to one of the male servants nearby.

James shifted on his feet.

"Adam, I can get my own drink. No need to make him do it for me."

Adam looked at his friend incredulously. "Why do things yourself when you've got a slave to do it for you?"

James mirrored Adam's look, but for a different reason. Adam was lazy and had everything handed to him. He didn't understand it.

"Hi, James," a sweet voice said behind him.

James turned away from Adam to face a petite young woman around his age. She was dolled up and pretty but had the same look all the other wealthy girls had. He knew by her flirtatious grin and the way she was positioning herself that she was no different than the others at these parties.

James was tired of it.

The night became a blur to James. He spent most of his night chatting with Becky, Daisy, and Adam. Mingling with the other guests here and there and listening to the talks of war.

As the night was coming to an end and James was about to head back home,  Adam pulled him aside.

"James, we need to talk," Adam said. His eyes were serious despite the amount of liquor that Adam had consumed.

"Okay, what's up?" James asked, following Adam outside.

The two friends walked side by side. James stared up at the moon as Adam spoke.

"I'm going to join the Army tomorrow, James. I ain't messin' with ya. I'm gonna join. I can't keep staying here waiting for others to fight this war," Adam said, his eyes looking wilder by the second.

James looked at his friend. He knew it was coming. And the fact was, he had been thinking the same thing for a while now too. He was a man, and he felt the pressure and duty to fight for...what? The continued use of slaves? The South? Pride? James supposed it was all three.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow mornin' at sunrise."

James looked at his friend's determined and bright eyes. Maybe it was the alcohol, or maybe it was the spur of the moment and a youthful impulse but James responded,

"I'm going too."

***A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Please consider leaving a vote or comment if you're enjoying the story so far!***