The Uncomfortable Exchange (Josie)

William was right. She did  feel like she had swallowed a lemon and a rather sour one at that. Her feelings for him were as sparse as a desert. She simply did not like him. She didn't like the way he looked, the way he carried himself, conversation with him, anything  other than the fact that he seemed respectful. Josie had so much to tend to, and she really didn't have the time to talk to William about arranging a relationship and judging by his uniform-clad body, he was soon to leave for war, another reason she refused to enter into a relationship with the boy. Why Ms. Green had arranged for this bizarre meeting was beyond her understanding. Perhaps Ms. Green had lost her marbles, or she was indeed that obsessed with finding her a man to marry. Either way, she needed to get back to the medical tent, not entertain William. 

"Oh, thank you," William responded, awkwardly brushing past Josie and into the drawing-room. 

"Afternoon Ms. Green," William greeted, sliding off his hat and nodding at the elderly woman. 

"Oh, William! It's such a pleasure that you stopped by. I was hoping you would. Now, let me go see what I can put together in the kitchen. I'm sure you're parched and hungry! Josephine will keep you company," Ms. Green said, pretending to be in a dither to prepare something for the boy.

Josephine watched as Ms.Green scurried off, and turned to face her beady-eyed suitor. She had said a quick prayer to God that we would help her remain kind and help her facial features not to giveaway her frustration and disgust at the entire situation; hopefully, he would accept her prayer.

William stood with his hands clutching his hat and an uncomfortable look on his face. 

"Do you not wish to sit down, or-" Josie began, wondering why in the world he was just standing there and staring at her stupidly.

"Oh, yes, yes. Sorry, I uh- sorry," William stumbled through his words, his face looking more and more like a ripe tomato by the second. Josie felt slightly bad for him. It would probably be hard to call on a girl like this, to be fair.

"It's okay. So, how are your parents, William? I always love your father's sermons." Josie smiled weakly at William, trying her hardest to be polite, but her eyes kept glancing towards the clock and her foot tapped ever so slightly on the carpeted ground impatiently. She really needed to get to the medical tent.

William seemed to light up at the fact that Josie had asked him a question. "Thank you! Speaking of my father, Ms. Green and my-"

Achooo!

"Are you alright? Do you need my handkerchief?" asked William, rushing over to her side and offering his handkerchief like a knight in shining armor. 

Josie frowned. She had wanted to change the subject or cause a diversion, but this boy only irked her more by rushing to her side like she was a damsel in distress. Apparently she wouldn't be able to skirt the impeding and dreaded question after all.

"No, no, I insist! Here, take it. It can be something you can remember me by," William insisted, awkwardly shoving the handkerchief into Josie's hands. 

Josie's mouth formed an o shape and her eyebrows rose in amusement. Didn't girls give their handkerchief to the men? This boy was ridiculous. 

"Unless you don't want it... I didn't mean to be awkward about it. I just wanted to help you."

"Thanks for the help. What is it that you wanted to talk about?" Josie croaked, pleading with him in her mind for him to move back to his seat instead of stay sitting next to her. Unfortunately, he didn't move. He smelled like he hadn't bathed himself in weeks, and his breath reeked of onions and something sugary; it did not mix well. Josie watched as a single drop of sweat rolled off his brow and onto his lap. She knew not everyone loved the man they married but... William would drive her up a wall if she married or even just courted him.

The atmosphere was unpleasant, and Josie suddenly was aware of everything. She could feel the heat of the warm sun shining in through the windows making her body heat up uncomfortably, she heard the steady tick of the grandfather clock as precious time passed by, and she couldn't help but see the loose piece of string on William's coat jacket. It all bothered her. 

"As you know, I am headed off to the battlefield tomorrow at dawn. I have been interested in you since I first saw you playing the grand piano at church when we were just barely teenagers." William was looking at her with awestruck, starry eyes and a smile on his cracked lips. 

Josie grit her teeth and the arm of the couch, her eyes widening by the second. He what? She thought worriedly. He had been watching her for years? She found it incredibly creepy, and suddenly she felt like rushing out of the room.

"So, I was wondering if you would consider writing to me. I understand you don't probably want to be in a relationship with a man going off to war this quickly, but I wanted to ask you to write to me, and then if the time presents itself, perhaps we could you know... court each other." William was out of breath by the time he had rushed out his words, and his eyes looked pleadingly at Josie's, seeming to beg her not to abandon him.

Josie sighed audibly. She was relieved he wasn't going to ask her to be in a relationship- at least not yet. 

"I will write to you, yes. But only as friends, William," Josie agreed. She had remembered the way the young boy in the medical tent had stared at her with pleading, scared, and lonely eyes. Despite her dislike for William, she felt it wrong to deny him a simple letter here and there to lift his spirits. Who knew what he would face and if he would make it back? She wasn't a witch. If he indeed liked her as much as he seemed to imply, a letter from her would probably keep him some comfort. 

William's eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas day. "Thank you!" William exclaimed. 

Josie was quick to pull her hand away when his slobbery lips tried to his her hand. "Friends, William. Just friends," she reminded him.

"Right. Friends." William agreed. Though the look in his eyes told her differently. He was most definitely going to tell his battle buddies she was his sweetheart. 

"Well, I need to head home before my mother scolds me for being late for supper. Thank you for agreeing to this, Josephine." 

Josephine nodded in response, "Be safe William," she said genuinely. 

As William was taking his leave, Ms. Green came hobbling out of the kitchen. "William dear! Please, take this picture of Josie."

Josie wanted so badly to snatch the black and white photo of herself out of William's hand, but he had already spun around and began walking home, seeming to know that she would take it back. 

"Thank you, Ms. Green. You ladies stay safe too. Goodbye, Josephine." William called, his distinct blue figure disappearing into the crowded streets. 

After Josephine had groaned and listed a hundred reasons why it was a terrible idea to have William over, she had made her leave. Her mind quickly pushed away any thought of William and quickly refocused on thoughts about the medical tent and the men within. 

Tonight she would do better. Tonight she would be strong and help even more wounded soldiers than she did the previous night. Tonight, she would help save lives.

***A/N: Hi friends! I hope you all are enjoying the Josie chapters! If you are, consider leaving a comment and voting on the chapter.***