Stronger (Josie)

Picture above: no copyright infringement intended. Full credit is given to HistoryNet. 

Dedicated to @roseatrandom for giving me support and advice throughout this story! Thank you!

The sky was a beautiful orange and pink hue, and despite the sun bidding farewell, the warmth it provided still lightly warmed Josie's cheeks. If it had been an evening without the lingering thoughts of war hanging over her head, or the images of fallen soldiers haunting her dreams, or the fact that the entire country was in great turmoil, this evening would be perfect, she thought. If only she could allow herself just a minute of solitude and rest to enjoy the warm summer night, but she wouldn't permit herself to do anything close to resting. Josie hadn't been sleeping at night, because thoughts of injured soldiers plagued her brain and the fact that while she was sleeping snuggly in a comfy bed and safe house, there were boys her age and younger struggling to survive and putting their lives on the line for the cause. She needed to do more. 

Josie was feeling her brain begin to fatigue as she walked towards the medical tent. She had just finished dropping off the sewen goods and was mentally preparing herself for the night ahead.

I can do this.

"You're a bit early, Josie. I could use the extra hand, though. Would you mind?" One of the doctors asked.

Josie felt bad, but she couldn't remember his name.

"Yes, how can I be of assistance?" Josie asked, her tired eyes meeting the doctor's own worn-out gaze. 

"Please wrap this soldiers hand, and don't forget the ointment. When you're finished, let me know and I'll have to assist me with some of the more serious patients."

Josie nodded in response and made her way over to the first soldier. Thank goodness he didn't look like he was going to die in her presence. She was grateful the doctor had started her off a little slower this time. 

The soldier was older and probably had a family of his own. He had a smart, black mustache and a pointy nose. In the dim light, his plain brown eyes peered up at her with hard, questioning eyes. A frown was on his face, not one of pain or terror, but of anger or regret. She couldn't quite tell. 

"What's your name? What are you planning on doing to me, little miss?" he asked harshly. Josie could feel the angst and coldness his attitude emit towards her. 

"I'm just going to clean your wound, apply ointment and wrap your hand. It shouldn't take long..." Josie trailed off, giving the man a slight smile despite his sour mood. She really didn't blame him, he probably had gone through a lot. 

As Josie reached for the man's hand, he flinched and snatched his injured hand away from her. 

"Do you really know what you're doing, little miss? I need to be patched up correctly so that I can go back out there and fight with my comrades." The man's frown was sour. 

Josie grit her teeth. "Yes. It won't take long. I'm just going to clean your wound now-" 

"You don't know what I've been through," the soldier mumbled, his eyes losing their hostility and conveying a deeper feeling of regret. 

Josie took the opportunity to gently take the soldier's hand and start to clean it out. The man didn't even flinch when she poured the alcohol onto the wound. Not a good sign. 

"In a battle... we were sure to win but those damn Feds somehow managed to kill a lot of our men and force us out of the territory. I-I lost my nephew out in battle. I saw who got him too. You don't know what it's like. This damned grey coat. Young man with blonde hair and blue eyes and a tall build... Mark my words, little miss, I will hunt that man down and kill him."