16.5 Leap of Faith

24 years agoThethia: Mt

24 years ago
Thethia: Mt. Lusian

Thunder

"He's not going to make it," one voice sounded in his ears as he struggled to stay awake.

"Who cares? He's too weak and useless," the other voice said harshly. "Even if he doesn't die here, he would die somewhere else."

"But—"

"Let's just go." With that, they left, leaving the little panther cub out in the relentless thunderstorm with heavy droplets splatting mercilessly on its small body. Help. He mumbled under his breath, hoping that someone would save him but he knew what awaited him was the impending shadows of death.

"Knight Wayland! There's something here!" a random voice blared in his ears again, though it sounded distant with his fading consciousness. Then, he felt being lifted up into a pair of warm arm as a thick cloth was covered over to shield his small body from the cold of the rain and the painful plunges of the droplets. Trying to stay awake, darkness soon wielded over him and drowned in the endless pit of nothingness.

The smokey smell of burning firewood woke him up as he peeled opened his eyes to witness the nascent fire ahead of him twirling in a fiery dance and the flames leaping vigorously and energetically. His attention stayed locked at the fire in front of him as he listened peacefully to the quiet cracklings. He jumped into his human form and circled around the fire, amused by the warmth emitting from the bright light source because he never had a chance to witness fire in his life.

"Who are you?" a loud sound boomed from outside the cave and he jumped immediately. He crouched low and hissed fiercely towards the approaching silhouette. The light from the fire eventually made out the man's features. He was tall and had a strong, large build. He also had sharp features well-accented against his slightly tanned skin and a perfectly angular jaw. He stared right into the man's grey eyes - dark, yet colourless like the smoke that had choked the air around him. The man asked again, "Who are you?"

It's wired in his natural instinct to run, so he used whatever those thin calves could offer and leapt forward to escape. But he faltered when a sudden jolt of sharp pain shot up from his knee and his body impacted against the rough ground painfully.

"You're the panther, aren't you?" The man hurried over to pick him up and sighed, "Kid, you're too small for your age."

He hissed angrily, trying to remove himself from the man's hold out of panic because he could barely understand what the man said.

"Hey buddy, it's okay," The man cooed. "I'm not going to hurt you."

From the way the man spoke, he felt comforted and immediately ceased struggling. A funny chuckle burst out into the quiet air between them, "You can understand me, can't you?"