32. An Encounter

Rivia: Ajayib, Town of Central Rivia, Town Clinic

Elianna

"Will my mother be okay?"

Elianna felt a pair of small hands grabbing onto her arm. Perhaps because she would soon become a mother herself that a child's touch had brimmed her heart with warmth and anticipation. Carefully, she reached for the child's head and ruffled her hair. "Yes, she will be fine. You've got to be a good girl and let her rest enough, alright?"

"Maya will be a good girl!" the little girl chirped.

A smile pulled at her face as she bid goodbye to the mother and child. After settling her down in town, Naailah had also arranged for her to work in this clinic that is affiliated to the royal family. It had been a while since she had started to provide medical aid for the people in Ajayib.

The clinic was nothing extravagant, it was comfortably quaint and humble. Townspeople also didn't have to pay in golds and silvers to get treated. They were only requested to offer whatever they could afford, even if it's just some dried goods or a piece of clothing. Their offerings were then presented towards the Temple, to be distributed to the poor. At times, Elianna would also lend a hand in making offerings for townspeople who really couldn't manage to give anything.

After a long day, Jana walked into her office in the clinic and mentioned that it's the end of her shift. She linked her arms with hers and the two had promised to go to the town square together to get some shopping done before heading back home. As they walked out of the clinic, Jana squealed excitedly beside her, "I can't believe that I finally managed to talk Kiran out of this!"

"What do you mean by that?" Elianna chuckled at her elation.

"Do you even realise that this is the first time you're out to town alone with me?" Jana pouted, slightly disappointed that Elianna hadn't seemed to notice.

"Now that you said it, you're right."

"Well, that's because Kiran would always scold me for being too clumsy and careless. But isn't it more fun to be with me? She's just a blockhead and way too rigid," Jana complained.

"You better not let her hear what you just said," Elianna laughed.

"You shall not tell on me, Elianna," Jana beamed cheekily. "Let's go! I need to grab some spices and fragrances from the merchants or Kiran would really hang me."

━━━━━━━━━━

Rivia: Alnair Palace, Foyer

Naailah

"I'm requesting for an audience from Her Highness," a voice sounded from outside her palace which had once again intrigued her.

"We would deliver your request to her," the guard informed, passing the message to her personal maid, Fariah. Hurried footsteps sounded as Fariah made her way through the main door in haste to seek for her. Her personal maid brushed past her without noticing her at all. Naailah sighed, fully aware of what others meant when they always mentioned that her presence was as thin as air.