24. Running Against Time

Thethia: Royal Grounds, Underground Cell

Elianna

She watched as Wynston stared at her. A second ago, his face was full of emotions but all was wiped away in an instant. Then, he held the same expression he had when he saw her for the first time ten years ago. The more she looked at him, the more turbulent the burning hatred seethe at the back of her eyes.

Glancing across Wynston's shoulder, she found Thunder standing behind him. His body was straight and stiff, and when he caught her looking, he shook his head slightly. His movements were unnoticeable to others but she knew him too well as he used all the small gestures to communicate with her. 

"Theron," Wynston called in a commanding tone.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Thunder replied calmly though the expression on his face reflected that he was feeling otherwise.

"Jab the tranquillizer in her," Wynston ordered.

Thunder flinched slightly and she immediately felt a stung in her chest. There was pain in his expression and he remained where he was, not moving. 

"Theron?" Wynston's jaw ticked with annoyance.

"Why not just kill me now? Why bother with tranquillizers?" she challenged.

"I didn't know you're in such a rush to die," he scoffed. "Don't worry, you will die tomorrow."

Dark emotions pooled within her chest when she clenched her fists tightly and she channelled all her shadows towards the tyrant. Her shadows grew excited at her murderous intent but even with a hard will, the kill attempt had failed. The chains locked against her wrists absorbed all the dark energy the moment they left her. She was left weak and empty before her shadows seeped back into her, slowly filling her up again.

"Do it, Theron," Wynston demanded. The smirk of his face was brimming with a revolting guise of triumph.

Thunder pursed his lips into a thin line before grabbing onto the tranquillizer from his pocket. She looked at him and noticed the shaking fear within his eyes. Maintaining her eye contact with him, she conveyed all her confidence in him. Please call Rowan. The thought floated in her mind, hoping that Thunder would understand. A feeling of helplessness caused her to sigh mentally. She never wanted to drag anyone into this, but she really needed help now.

Each step that he took closer to her, she could see the resistance and reluctance dulling those emerald green orbs. When he lowered himself and knelt down in from of her, he cocked his arm with the jab in his hand. She smiled slightly and closed her eyes, expecting a painful pierce but Thunder had been exceptionally gentle. The needle pierced through her neck with a small prick before her head felt heavy and her body fell to her side in the absence of her consciousness.

━━━━━━━━━━

Thethia: Mt. Plytois, On the Way to the Portal to Lyx Palace