34. Mystifying Presence

Rivia: Meissa Palace, Rowan's Quarters

Rowan

At the sound of two light clinks from the door, he turned his head in anticipation but his excitement was quickly dampened when the two maidservants who entered the room was not who he had expected. "Your Highness, everything has been prepared as requested. Would you like for us to prepare the bath now?"

"That would be great," he mentioned. "Please leave the room, I don't need further assistance."

"Yes, Your Highness," they bowed respectfully. "We would leave to prepare the bath waters."

"Thank you," he said, still disappointed. 

The maidservants settled the tray of clothes in front of him and bowed respectfully towards him. Just when they were about to leave, he stopped them and asked, "Can I ask something?" 

"Please do ask." One of them responded.

"Do you happen to know where Elisha is?"

"Please pardon us, Your Highness." The maidservant sounded confused. "We do not know of an Elisha in this palace."

"She mentioned that she's a laundry maidservant," he wondered. 

"We have to apologise that we do not know of a maidservant by the name of Elisha, Your Highness." The maidservant responded. "You may want to seek for the steward, he should be able to provide you with answers." 

"That will do, thank you," he sighed slightly, allowing them to head towards the bath.

"Damn," he cursed in a barely audible voice and held his hand over his chest. The mark of resurrection glowed slightly above his pounding heart and he ached, "Why does it hurt again?"

After his bath, he sat on the wide ledge of his balcony and leaned his back against the wall. The increasingly frigid wind at night grazed unrelentingly against his skin, but he had needed the cold to clear the frustrating thoughts in his head. The intensity of the wind had also given him a merciless reminder that he's still very much alive in this realm — all because he felt that he was slowly dying on the inside due to reasons he'd never make sense of. 

"Ro, is something wrong?" Ilias stepped into the balcony and asked about his unusual behaviour.

"Ilias," he exhaled a depressing sigh. "I haven't felt at peace since I woke up three months ago."

"Is it because of the crowning?" he inquired, concerned.

"That's one." His jaw tightened. "Then, there's the other."

"I'm not understanding," Ilias said. "Please do tell me your worries so that I could share the burdens with you." 

"I met this girl named Elisha, she's a maidservant here."