𝐱𝐢.

"RUBY, THIS IS SERIOUS, WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE STUDYING EACH OTHER'S LIPS

"RUBY, THIS IS SERIOUS, WE'RE SUPPOSED TO BE STUDYING EACH OTHER'S LIPS.". . .

Anne's words caused Ruby to giggle even more.

"I think yours are delicate and inviting." She added.

"Really?" Ruby asked and Anne smiled then moved onto Tillie.

"And Tillie's are soft, even to the eye. And Jane's are shaped like a rosebud that's beginning to bloom." The girls laughed. "Mine are awful. Like fat caterpillars that live in our old willow tree." Magnolia held back a snort, Anne's descriptions always made her laugh. However, Anne's lips looked nothing like fat caterpillars.

"They do look a bit swollen." Jane pointed out and earned a glare from Magnolia.

Anne ignored the harshness of her remark and agreed. "It's my own fault, I have a terrible habit of chewing on my bottom lip when I'm thinking." The redhead smiled, she thought she was the only one who bit her lip when she was deep in thought or nervous. "The trouble is, I'm always thinking. Are they unpleasant to look at?" Anne questioned.

"They are perfectly pink and luscious." Magnolia complemented and placed her small hand on Anne's shoulder.

"Magnolia, you without a doubt have the best, most kissable, and plump lips. The brightest smile to light any heart." A smile fell over her face, Anne really had a way with words.

"Thank you--" She started to say.

"Do you think Prissy and Mr. Phillips have kissed?" Ruby inquired as everyone turned their heads to her.

Laughter filled the room, and Magnolia felt tears come to her eyes because she was laughing so hard. She couldn't imagine anyone kissing him, he looked like a small rat to the redhead.

"Not yet," Jane speaks up, then giggles. "But soon, I imagine. Prissy is studying for her Queen's entrance exams and sometimes Mr. Phillips stops by our house to give her extra help." Prissy could do so much better, she was pretty and sweet, and Mr. Phillips was ugly and mean. She had no clue why Prissy even fancied him.

"Prissy is only two years older than us."

"I mean to have an official beau by the time I'm fifteen. I hope Gilbert will be back by then." Magnolia felt a twinge of jealousy stir inside of her, but she pushed it back down and grinned at Ruby instead. She did not like Gilbert, so why was she jealous?

"You think of nothing but beaus, Ruby." Anne said.

"Well, what's wrong with that?" Ruby retorted.

"I've never seen a real kiss before." Tille admitted, and Magnolia brought her attention to her. "My parents don't go in for that kind of thing."

"I once overheard Mrs. Lynde and her husband share a kiss. It sounded like a cow dragging its hind hoof out of a swamp!" Jane exclaimed and everyone laughed again while scrunching their eyebrows in disgust.