𝐱𝐱𝐢.

GILBERT STOPPED WALKING WHEN THEY REACHED HIS HOUSE

GILBERT STOPPED WALKING WHEN THEY REACHED HIS HOUSE. . .

He didn't move, not wanting to go inside because he knew if he did, he'd have to face the cold reality of his life.

Magnolia noticed his stillness and glanced at him, and in just enough time to see a tear slip down his face. She frowned and immediately wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him close.

He hugged back tightly, the warmth of her body against his comforted him.

A few minutes passed and the redhead finally pulled away. She lifted her hand to his face and wiped away the tears on his cheeks, then she dropped her hand at her side and turned back to the house.

"You can do this." She said quietly to Gilbert, he nodded slowly.

Magnolia gently grabbed Gilbert's hand, squeezing it for reassurance, and led him inside.

The next day came along quickly and the redhead found herself setting up Easter decorations for Mary.

The whole morning Magnolia felt sick, she couldn't bear the thought of Bash, Gilbert, and Delly losing Mary.

Today was supposed to be a happy day, a day where Mary was celebrated one last time, so she masked her sorrow with a smile; mostly because she didn't want anyone to see her upset, that would ruin everything, especially for Mary. She needed to be strong for her.

She finished hanging up some streamers and turned around, noticing a group of people surrounding someone. She assumed it was Mary, so she ran over to the group and joined them.

She saw Mary in Bash's arms, she was too weak to walk so Bash had to carry her. "Happy Easter, Mary!" Everyone shouted in unison, Mary smiled widely, a mixture of happy and sad tears falling from her eyes.

"Thank you." She said gratefully.

Bash grinned and sit Mary down on a chair, so she could rest and still see and talk to everyone.

Suddenly, Magnolia remembered something. So she left abruptly and ran to her horse.

When she reached her horse, the redhead went straight for the bag she brought. She dug inside until she felt something hard, large, and square-shaped. She pulled out the painting and stared at it, making sure it was perfect.

She spent all of the night before painting it because she wanted Mary to love it. She had to make sure it was the best she ever made.

She put the painting behind her back and made her way back to the party. Then Magnolia nervously found Mary, beaming as she walked up to her friend.

"Magnolia!" Mary called happily. "This party is wonderful!"

She smiled. "Thank you." Mary nodded and the redheaded girl decided it was time to give her the painting. "I have something for you."

She raised her eyebrows. "Oh, you do?"

"Mhm." Magnolia took the canvas from behind her back and placed it in Mary's hands.

The painting was of Mary, with Delly and Bash beside her. It was so realistic that it looked like a photograph.

She gaped down at the painting, awestruck. "Oh, my, Magnolia—this is beautiful." She glanced up at the girl, surprised at her talent—especially considering she was only fifteen.

"I love it, thank you so much." Mary put the painting beside her and opened her arms.

Magnolia leaned in and hugged Mary. The two pulled away a few moments later, Mary was smiling brightly.

"Everyone! Come see Magnolia's lovely painting!"

( TRIGGER WARNING: death )

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pasture: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul. He leadeth me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me." The minister spoke, but after awhile the redhead stopped paying attention. She was too anxious to focus on his words.

Magnolia stared at Mary's grave, sadness consuming her. Mary was such a bright soul, and she was so young, she was taken far too soon.

Tears spilled from her eyes as the minster finished, she gripped the bouquet of flowers in her hands even tighter, causing her knuckles to turn white as snow.

Soon she realized it was time for her to put the flowers on Mary's grave, so she slowly stepped forward, her body trembling, and laid them on the fresh dirt.

She squeezed her eyes shut, over the year she knew Mary, she learned that she was an amazing and sweet person. She didn't deserve her fate. Not one bit.

A hand touching her shoulder, making her jump slightly. She opened her eyes and glanced behind her, Gilbert Blythe stood behind her.

His eyes were glassy just like Magnolia's, they also shared the same painful look.

He slipped his hand into hers, then pulled her back into the crowd and away from Mary's grave.

When they stopped, she let out a shaky breath and laid her head on his shoulder.

Why was life so unfair sometimes?