𝐱𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢.

"CAN I BORROW YOUR PEN?". . .

The redhead glanced up at Gilbert who was sitting beside her, and nodded, then handed him her pen.

"Magnolia, isn't your birthday tomorrow? seventeen, right?" Josie inquired.

"Yeah, it is—"

"—Tell her to focus, Magnolia! The exams are tomorrow, and all she can do is turn geometric shapes into hearts." Jane complained, referring to Ruby.

"I think you're asking the wrong person—" Ruby cut her off.

"—Who says that being romantic is any less respectable than being studious? Ask Gilbert. He's the most studious and he's romantic."

"Well, we're not being romantic. There's nowhere else—"

"—Not with you, Magnolia, with Winifred." Her heart sunk the tiniest bit at Ruby's words.

"How did you meet her anyway?" Josie asked curiously.

"How long have you been courting?"

"He was squiring her folks around at the fair. It must be serious." Moody pointed out.

"It has to be, with a girl so beautiful. Isn't she, Magnolia?"

"Yeah, so beautiful." She repeated, hoping no one heard the hurt in her voice.

"When will you see her again?" Tillie questioned.

"Well, I'm headed into Charlottetown tomorrow to take my exams. So I can dine with her and her folks after."

"Dining with the parents, eh?" Charlie teased.

"We're all going to the ruins after." Moody changed the subject.

"It's a secret!" Ruby exclaimed.

"You should come, bring your fiancée."

Magnolia felt another pain in her chest, so she looked down at her paper.

Bring your fiancée.

Why did those words hurt her so much?

Then it hit her.

She liked Gilbert Blythe.

Magnolia tapped her foot nervously on the ground as they waited to take the Queen's exam.

It was now the next day, (it was also her birthday, but there were far too many things happening that day to celebrate.) She had stayed up all night thinking about college, mostly because, she didn't know what she wanted to be yet.

She could be a nurse or a doctor since she was pretty good at that, though she despised blood. Or she could be an artist, but as Edward said, it wasn't a job, it was a hobby.

So at 3 am, she decided to take the exams no matter what because Queens could be a back up if her future plans didn't turn out the way she wanted.

"Diana! What are you doing here?" Someone said from behind her, so she turned around to see why was going on.

"I'm taking the exams!" Diana exclaimed, causing the redhead to grin widely. She couldn't believe her parents said yes, she had been trying to convince them for months to let her take the exams.

"What about Paris?"

"I'll tell you later—"

Moody gasped. "The examiner."