𝐱𝐢𝐢.

MAGNOLIA PULLED HER DRESS OVER HER HEAD

MAGNOLIA PULLED HER DRESS OVER HER HEAD. . .

A huff escaped from her mouth as she did. The dress was too small for her liking, she must've grown in the past week.

She stared at herself in the mirror, the dress was tight on her chest and her arms, it was also a bit too short. She groaned and peeled off the dress, then she dug through her trunk and picked out something else to wear. Once she was dressed she pulled half of her hair up and tied it with a ribbon.

"Magnolia! You've got a letter!" Her mother yelled. She was confused at first as to who the letter was from but then it hit her. Gilbert.

She was filled with excitement, deep down inside, she hoped it was news about him coming back to town.

She ran downstairs to get the letter. Her heart sped up as she neared the kitchen table, and on it sat the letter. She picked up the letter and looked on the back of it.

To Miss. Magnolia Baker.

She smiled at it and turned it over. She opened the letter and pulled out a folded piece of paper.

Dear Magnolia,

I'm doing great! I love it here. Although I do miss school, and the spelling contests we had.
To be complete honest though, I will probably not return to Avonlea. There are too many bad memories attached to that place and I don't think I can go back. But thank you for everything, especially for putting flowers on my father's grave, I'm sure he loves them.

I hope you're doing well too, Maybe one day we can meet again. Goodbye, Magnolia.

Sincerely,

Gilbert

Magnolia felt happiness, sadness, and rage all at the same time. She should have known he wasn't coming back. She threw the letter down and squeezed her eyes shut. She balled her fists in anger and opened her eyes again. Why did she get her hopes up?

Her mother touched her back, pulling her out of her racing thoughts. "Are you okay?"

"Just fine." She answered with a hint of anger and annoyance in her voice. Her mother sensed she didn't want to talk about it and walked away, so she could have space to cool down.

She was mad at him. How could he just leave like that? And he liked being on a steamboat? Magnolia wanted to scream.

"Magnolia!" Stiles called as he came running down the stairs, he had a huge smile on his face.

She immediately hid that she was upset and grinned at him. "Good morning." She said no to him, however, it was not a good morning.

He hugged her legs since he was too short to give her an actual hug, and then he pulled away. She watched as Stiles sat at the table and grabbed a biscuit. "Here's your lunch, Magnolia." Her mother handed her a bucket with bread, cookies, and milk, all stuffed inside.