𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢.

THE NEXT DAY MAGNOLIA WAITED AT HER AND ANNE'S SPOT

THE NEXT DAY MAGNOLIA WAITED AT HER AND ANNE'S SPOT. . .

Anne was never one to be late to school but today she was, and she was going to make the redhead late if she waited any longer for Anne. So she walked to school without Anne, she would understand why Magnolia left.

When the young girl got to school, she put her milk in the creek, then rushed inside. She took off her coat and hung it up.

"Good morning, where's Anne?" Diana asked as she came out of the classroom.

"I don't know, she didn't show up at our spot this morning." Diana furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'm sure she'll be here soon." And like Anne was waiting for her cue, she walked in. She was wearing her regular dress, but she had a hat on hiding her hair.

"Why do you have a hat on, Anne?" Magnolia questioned, Anne looked like she was going to cry.

"Oh, it's horrible!"

"What is?"

"My hair! This man gave me hair dye and I thought it would turn my hair a gorgeous raven color! But it turned green and Marilla had to cut it off!" She cried.

"Surely it can't be that awful," Diana reassured her.

"I'm a monstrosity, Diana." She turned to the redhead. "In fact, you must forget me now! I'd never ever want to bring humiliation upon you." Anne said to both of them.

Magnolia rolled her eyes playfully and spoke. "We would never forget you." Her words brought a tiny smile to Anne's face.

"Best take off your hat," Diana told her as she glanced in the classroom.

Anne reached up for the hat and pulled it off her head, revealing her hair.

It was cut just like a boy would get his hair cut, and apparently Marilla wasn't very good with haircuts because it was jagged and uneven. But to be honest, Anne looked good with it.

"I made a promise, never to forsake thee." The redhead looked to Diana who was taking off her ribbon. She tied it in Anne's hair and grinned at her. "Besides, it's only hair, it'll grow back."

"She's right, Anne. And I think you look amazing with short hair." She told her and grabbed her hand, leading her into the classroom.

There was a large group of people surrounding someone, and at the sight of Anne they spread out like they were afraid to touch her.

Magnolia squeezed Anne's hand for reassurance, she knew Anne probably felt embarrassed.

Magnolia looked away from Anne and at whoever everyone was obsessing over.

There stood Gilbert Blythe. The same Gilbert who said he wasn't coming back to Avonlea.

The redhead bit her lip to stop herself from gasping, she was surprised. She didn't expect to see him ever again.