The Test

Kamiko's P.O.V

She woke up with a gasp. Her heart was pounding as she looked around. It was still dark but she could tell that she was still in Naraska's room. She turned towards Kazama who was thankfully still fast asleep. She looked back towards Narasaka. Nothing but regret filled her as she saw Narasaka's sleeping form. She carefully climbed out of Kazama's hold and onto the counter. She carefully slid onto his bed and looked at the brunette's injuries. The worst of his injuries centered near his neck. Kamiko didn't understand everything the nurse had told them. But she could tell that the teen would've bled to death if she hadn't listened to him. The fear shook her every time she thought about it.

Kamiko looked down at her hands. A few hours ago they were covered in blood. His blood. All because she couldn't protect him fast enough. Just like...before. She lifted her gaze towards the end of his bed. A bit his trigger laid on the counter, fully activated in it's sniper form. Just like everyone else. She was confused. They looked to her for answers but how was she supposed to know. She told them the same thing she had told Kazama: They were patrolling in their trion bodies, they were attacked out of nowhere, and Naraska got wounded. Curious, she slid off the bed and made her way to the counter. Climbing up to the trigger, she quietly picked it up.

"Temporary link established." It said quietly.

She was even more confused but decided to ask questions later. The door opened quietly and she hesitantly looked up. It was Miwa. A part of her was terrified to see him. No, not just a part of her. She was absolutely terrified to see Miwa. He was wide-eyed and she could see Kodera and Yosuke right behind him.

They looked to the brunette and then back at her. She looked down at the sniper she was holding. She knew they would be mad at her. It was her fault that Narasaka was hurt. She tightly gripped the trigger as she waited for someone to start shouting. But it never came, only a gentle pat on her back. She didn't dare look up. That's how they used to punish her every time she failed something.

"Kamiko, how are you doing?" Yosuke asked.

She couldn't speak. Or maybe she was too scared to speak. Either way, she didn't say anything. How could she?

"Besides minor injuries, she's fine. If not, still a bit shaken up by the whole ordeal." Kazama said.

She slightly looked up and saw him getting off the couch. He motioned the group to be a bit quieter as they backed out of the room. She followed them, Narasaka's trigger still in her hand. Once she was out of the room, Kazama closed the door and started telling them what happened. She gripped the trigger tighter as she kept her head down. She heard one of them kneel down to her and flinched.

"Kamiko," Miwa was trying to get her attention. "Thank you for saving Narasaka. I'm very grateful that you both came out okay." He said. She lifted her head slightly. He didn't sound angry in the slightest.

"But...I couldn't stop him from getting hurt." She said quietly.

Everyone was quiet for a moment before Miwa spoke up again. "I'd rather you both be injured and alive. Then one of you completely uninjured and the other dead. Don't you agree, Kazama?"

Kamiko's eyes widened as she looked to Miwa then Kazama then back at Miwa. All of them nodded as she felt the tears run down her face. Kazama picked her up and wiped the tears away. "Why are you crying now?" He asked.

"I-I-I'm not sure," she sobbed quietly. Her memories flooded back to all the times she failed and how enraged her parents would get. She hadn't even noticed that she had dropped the trigger or that she had nearly choked Kazama when she hugged him. She only realized she had become a crying mess when Kazama had started patting her back again.