Nervous

Kier's POV

The next day we found ourselves sitting around a checkerboard table in Starbucks. The Timids huddled together nervously, talking quietly and occasionally looking towards the doors, obviously nervous to meet our new potential drummer.

Myself and Laurence sat in silence. Cupping our coffees in our hands, both consumed by our own thoughts.
We didn't need words to express our own worry, but he was visibly more nervous than me.

The large double doors swung open and in walked a man swathed in a black hoodie, half zipped up and black baggy jeans. His face looked rugged, his ginger beard a stark comparison against his dyed black hair.

I stood up and decided to approach him, recognising him from his headshot on the website.

"Hey! Luke right?" I questioned, grasping his large hand between both of mine.

"Yeah, that's me!" He replied, shaking my hand vigorously and laughing nervously a little. So he wasn't totally at ease either. That's vaguely reassuring. I led him to our table and gestured for him to sit down on the opposite side to us.

"So we are Fearless Vampire Killers and we need a drummer. This is Drew, Shane, Laurence and I'm Kier." I said, gesturing to each of them in turn.

"I sing and play guitar, Laurence too, Drew plays Bass and piano when we need it but he plays pretty much everything else under the sun too, and Shane is our guitarist." I explained, with each of them showing some sign of acknowledgement at the right time. 

"Okay cool." He said in a slightly more high pitched tone than you would expect from him at first glance. "So Whereabouts do you guys live?"

"We all live together in Camden, it's not as creepy as it sounds! We all grew up together and moved from Beccles after we started up the band"

"That's pretty sick! So what it's like a sleepover every night?"

"Yeah I suppose, we don't really think anything of it really." I surprised myself by lying about something I felt was a large focal point within the band; the fact that I get to share a bed with Laurence every night.

"Uhh." He spoke softy, gazing around. I realised I hadn't spoken for a few moments and all eyes were on me.

"Sorry, Luke was it? I blanked out."

"Yeah. Ah okay so um, what do you wanna ask me?" He said in a smug tone whilst leaning back into his seat.

"Okay so whereabouts do you live?"

"Camden. I've got my own flat."

"That works oh pretty well for us, we live in Camden too. Every time we have a full blown rehearsal with mics and amps we go up to Beccles. Would you be up for that?"

"Hells yeah! It's in the country right?

"Awesome! Yeah it's in Suffolk."

"Ugh I love the country, really pretty. And damn clean compared to here as well!"

"Yeah I love it there. It's nice to go home sometimes. Anyways, I think that's about it, I guess we'll email you when we reach a decision."

"Okay cool." He said standing up to leave. "It was nice meeting you guys too!" He gestured to the rest of the guys with a sweeping motion to which they replied with a subtle wave each. Laurence should be called a timid too.
He's so cute.

What? Shut up.

I took his hand in mine and shook it vigourously. "Thanks for coming."

"It's okay!" He turned to leave and waved from the double doors before opening them and slipping outside, shoving his hands in his pockets and wrapping his coat around him due to the bitter cold.

Laurence was the one to speak first. " I think that went pretty well" he said, his shoulders sagging from being visibly more relaxed.

The Timids untangled themselves from each other and leant forwards towards the table in unison.

"So what do you reckon? He seemed nice enough, we've just gotta see him play."

"Well email him a drum tab for palace in flames, ask him to learn it then we can meet up for a rehearsal and see how he plays."

"Good plan wooly." Laurence agreed, taking another sip of his coffee.

"Home?" I questioned

"Home." They all agreed, nodding and finishing off their coffee before standing and beginning to walk out.

We followed out of the door in single file, Laurence holding the door open for all of us and then grouchily walking beside me after the others had passed.

"What's up Beveridge?" I questioned quietly, glancing at the timids who appeared to be in deep conversation.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just anxious you know? I don't wanna have another drummer leave. Also Ruple and Evelyn needs to be written and I'm seriously running out of time. I honestly don't think it's gonna get written at this rate.

"You know what? It's all gonna be okay. You'll get Ruple and Evelyn written, it might be late but the fans will understand. As for the drummer, well we can't control that but I doubt it." I reassured him, pulling him into a loose hug over the top of his shoulders. I wonder is he could feel that spark despite our jackets. Maybe that's just me.

"I hope so." He nodded and looked towards the floor. "I don't know how I'd cope." His head found its way to the nook in my shoulder. I stopped at this and turned so I was facing him, rubbing gently up and down his arms in reassurance.

"It will all work out I promise." I scolded myself for making a promise that isn't really mine to keep.

"I hope so." He said looking up at me, looking at me square in the face with his beautiful emerald eyes. I regret what I said. What if it goes wrong? What if he does leave? Why did I promise him something that I have no control over?

I pulled him into a hug and rested my head on his shoulder. "I promise." I held my pinky finger aloft, hoping he'd see it.

A second later I felt a small pinky finger touch to mine and wrap itself around. "Pinky promise." A muffled Beveridge spoke from my shoulder.

Smiling, we stayed this way until Drew turned as we had fallen behind and laughed at the pair of us.

A/N: bit shorter I know I'm sorry, I've been really busy recently like wow. I wrote this on a coach while I was in France on a school trip. So vote, comment and share if you want, I'm hoping to double update next week but I don't know if it's gonna work out. Until next time!