Chapter 1

Ricky

Ricky

Ricky woke just before dawn and rolled over in twin bed to stare at the blank ceiling. It had been less than a month since she had left her home town of Frankfurt, Germany. She wasnt feeling home sick, infact far from it. She was beyond excited to be in America.

Ricky had hoped she would make good friends and have a great final year before she would have to take over her family shop back home. This was a time of adventure for her.

Unfortunately, due to her late arrival, and her lack of american knowledge Ricky hadnt made any friends and was given a single dorm apartment. So with no roommate to befriend and show her around, Ricky had no choice but to go at it alone.

Sitting up in bed, her sheets pooled at her waist as she stretched her arms. Glancing at the digital clock on her small bedside table Ricky all but groaned at the time. It was only 5:34am, and she didnt have classes until late morning. There was no reason for her to be awake, and yet she was. Back home it would have been broaching nightfall, the jet lag still in affect on the girl's sleep schedule.

Deciding to snag a cup of coffee from the 24 hour cafe just outaide of campus, Ricky got herself out of bed. Digging through her closet she pulled out her outfit for the day and threw it onto her bed. Leaving her bedroom she made hrr way into the small living room / kitchen to turn the heater on, then proceeding to step back into her room. Now heading for her bathroom, Ricky left the door open while she stripped and turned the hot water on.

After her shower Ricky dried her skin and hair with the towel then pulled on her clothes.

When she was fully dressed she ventured back into her bathroom to apply her daily makeup

Finally satisfied with how she looked, Ricky gathered her belonings, keys, phone, wallet, headphones and threw them into a small black backpack and left her lone dorm, locking up as she went.

The halls were silent as she made her way out of the building, it was that rare hour where no students wete awake, either from studying, going to class or coming from.

When Ricky made it outside, she took a deep breath of the misty morning air. She was glad to have thrown on a sweater for her outfit, aware of the slight chill. She made her way over to her little red bug , unlocking then sliding in. With keys in the ignition, Ricky was still wiged out over the car and driving system of america. More than once has she caught herself entering the 'wrong' side of her car. A soft humm of the low volume radio filled the confines of her car as she drove the short distance to the cafe. Happy for the deserted roads and seemingly lifeless campus.

The little cafe stood brightly lit when Ricky made it to the front parking lot. She could see in through the large open glass front windows, a few straggler customers here and there, a group seated at the front by the door. As employees leisurely worked in the back.
Ricky grabbed her bad from her passanger seat and exited her car. Satisfied with the little beep, to let her know it was locked.

She pulled the cafe doors open, as bell chiming, as she dug into her bag fro her wallet.

" Hello, Welcome to Café Monné", a cherry voice called out to her in greeting.

Ricky took small steps into the cafe while her eyes and hands were in her bag. When she pulled free her wallet, she looked up at the blonde girl behind the counter with a bright smile.

" Guten Morgen, Ic-",Ricky caught herself , staring over in english," Good morning, Ill have a hazelnut coffee please". She spoke.

The blonde girls eyes lit with interest at Rickys thick german accent.

" One Hazelnut coffee, coming up. Will that be all?", she chirped.

" Ja, is all", Ricky smiled one again. Silently hoping her red lipstick wasnt on her teeth.

" That'll be 3. 46$", Handing the girl her debit card she inserted the chip into the register. The transaction approved the Blonde handed Ricky back her card and her receipt before picking up a coffee cup. And a sharpie.

" And youre name?", she asked posied ready to write.

" Fyne," Came Rickys reply .

The girl nodded and wrote, no doubt spelling it incorrectly. Ricky moved from the counter over to an open booth by the front window. She paid no mind to the people in the cafe with her and instead stared out at the early morning sky.
Rickys mind had began to wonder, wondering what her friends back home were doing and if they missed her. She mentally made a note to call them later.

" Hazelnut coffee for Fine", the same blonde called into the cafe. There was no real need to, but Ricky suspected that it was required, and so paid it no mind as she stood from her seat.

Ricky met the girl at the pick up counter to retive her coffee.
Handing it over the blonde girl spoke.

" Hey I'm sorry, bur i couldnt help but wonder. Youre accent, is it Russian?".

" Is German", Ricky palmed her drink and politely smiled at the girl.

"Oh!", a blush stole the girls cheeks," Im so sorry! I meant no offense."

Ricky let out a small chuckel before she held her hand up to stop the poor girls apologies. " Is okay, Trust me , I get it all time."

" Its beautiful," She beamed at Ricky, before shooting her hand out," Im Mia, btw."

" Ricky, Ricky Fyne," Ricky introduced herself , clapsing Mia's hand in a shake.

" Well Ricky, you seem cool, we should hang out sometime," Mia offered.

Ricky felt elated, she had the opportunity to make a new friend, her first american friend at that.

With an eager nod, Ricky quickly accepted the offer.

Leaving the cafe, Ricky had a little skip in her step and a big mega watt smile on her lips. Before she got to the door, a loud thud filled the cafe. Ricky glanced to her left, still walking to the door, her dark eyes clashed with the seemingly angry orbs of a man sitting in the booth by the door. Beside him sat another man, and facing away from Rick were the heads of two more men.
The man she made accidentally eye contact with had his jaw set a ticking vein poping out at the corner.
Their interaction brief, only half a second, before she pushed out the door and returned her eyes head and out into the soft glow of the morning parking lot.

Her red bug sat a few feet from her, one of only 3 cars in the parking lot. Ricky unlocked her doors and slid in. Driving her way back to her lone dorm, still smiling.