[17] - Chance

[Beatrice Eaton]

[Beatrice Eaton]

Dear Tobias,
I've told myself multiple times that you'll have a chance to read my letters once you wake up, but, now I'm not so sure. After weeks of Neuro monitoring, you've stopped accelerating. Meaning, you're not waking up. The Doctors believe that, one day, in a few months, you will. But, I don't know if you have that long. The coma is causing your organs to fail. First, it's your liver. They've tried resecting all of the damage done by the gunshot, but there's too much damage for you. They said soon enough that you'll die from liver failure if they can't find a donor. I would give you a piece of mine but the tests said it wasn't a match. So, for now, we sit and look for a donor. For now, we wait.
Yours Forever,
Beatrice... (October 7th, 2019)

Three weeks ago, the doctors discharged Zeke. Last week, they removed his stitches. Three weeks ago, Tobias was put onto the transplant list at a 1b priority level. Last week, they bumped him to a 1a priority level meaning he needs the organ immediately. Justin enters the room with David, both holding a stare on Tobias.
     "We have contacted U.N.O.S. repeatedly, Tris. I'm sorry to report that they do not have a liver that matches Tobias. We don't think he'll make it through the week." Davis says.
     Tears spill onto my cheeks and I don't wipe them away. He isn't waking up because his body isn't metabolizing the heavy anesthesia fast enough. The reason for that is because his Liver is what metabolizes everything but his liver has gone to shit. My last memory of Tobias will be one of a tube hissing air into his lungs.
     "What blood type is he?" Zeke asks, his arms crossed over his chest.
     David opens the chart, reading the papers. He searches for an answer.
     "B-Positive." I reply, watching David close the chart. "Why?"
     Zeke uncrosses his arms, opening his wallet. He removes an American Red Cross card.
     "Well, would you look at that. I'm B-Positive too. What if I gave him a part of mine? I mean, seriously, he saved my life. Let me save his." He says.
     I look up at David, then at Justin. They look at one another, an eyebrow raised.
     "Tobias could have a new liver by tomorrow if you allow this, Tris." Chief Williams says in the hall.
     I turn around in my chair, squeezing the tissues in my hand.
     "Do you really think this could work?" I ask, begging for his genuine opinion.
     He walks into the room, grabbing my hands tightly. Bryan has been like a second father to me. At work, he takes extra care of me, especially in the past couple weeks.
     "I hope so. And, if Zeke passes all of the compatibility tests, we could do the procedure by Friday and Tobias could be awake within the week." He says.
     I look over at Tobias, my heart fluttering in my chest again.
     "Yes. Let's do it."

* * * * *

     Zeke lay on a gurney beside Tobias, staring at him.
     "Zeke, you're sure you want to do this? If you don't, I understand." I say.
     He shakes his head, a wide smile on his face as he looks at his best friend.
     "I'm positive, Tris. Four saved my life in there. I owe him this. Plus, I can't get married without my best man." He says.
     Chief Williams walks over to us, wearing the full cap and scrubs.
     "It's time for us to take them. Say your goodbyes for now." He says.
     Shauna leans down, kissing Zeke sweetly, a smile on her face.
     "This is very sweet of you to do, babe." She says.
     "Graham needs a Father. I need a best man. Tris needs a husband. The world needs a great cop who puts his life on the line for others." He says.
     I lean down to Tobias, stroking his cheek with my hand.
     "You're going to wake up. You're going to get better. You have to. For me." I say.
     I kiss him, sighing out sharply as they wheel him away. Shauna takes by hand, turning her head to look at me.
"It's going to be okay, Tris. He's a strong guy. He knows what he's fighting for." She says.
I nod, looking down at the floor, then back up at the double doors they disappeared through. I know that hall like the back of my hand. On the right are the showers, on the left, the restrooms. Further down the hall is O.R. one through three all on the left side, along with each of their own individual scrub rooms. On the right, O.R. four through six, as well as their own scrub rooms. At the end of the hall, the largest of the O.R's as well the most highly equipped one, O.R. seven. Tobias and Zeke are being taken to O.R. seven, the same O.R. they were both put in all those weeks ago. I hear the pitter patter of feet behind me. I turn around, Spotting Christina in her scrubs, my parents behind her, Graham in their arms, Pastor Douglas Foreman from church, Marlene, Will, Max, Amar, Lauren, Tori, everyone good from his Past.
"He needs people on his side, right now. They both do. They're here to help." She says.
Tears threaten to spill over onto my cheeks as I look from Christina, back to the group of people she brought here.
"I've made sure that the other nurses don't bother you guys about having too many visitors. They know you need this more than ever." She says.
I smile, laughing for the first time in weeks, covering my mouth to dampen it.
"Thank you, Christina." I say, my voice cracking in my throat.
She takes my hand, squeezes it tight, and nods back at me.
"I'll keep you updated, Tris." She says. "I promise."
She walks away, disappearing behind the double doors, leaving me with a group bigger than I had ever thought would come for him.

Come on, Tobias. Work with me here.
That's two bags done.
Hang another. We have to make this work. Tris is counting on us.
That will be three bags, sir.
So be it! We can't have this man die on my table. I won't allow it.
He's becoming Hypotensive.
Dammit! He's in Hypovolemic shock. Hang another bag, now!