[21] - Court

[Tobias Eaton]

[Tobias Eaton]

I stand in the bathroom, adjusting my tie. Tris walks in wearing a simplistic black dress, one similar to what she wore to my father's funeral. She looks stunning.

"Are you ready for today?" She asks, approaching me.

I nod, exhaling sharply. A month ago, I woke up in the hospital with a new liver and two months of my life missing from my memory. A little over two weeks ago, they released me from the Hospital to recover at home. Today is the first day of the trial against Michael and Peter. The entire time I was in my coma, Peter and Michael had been offered plea deals if they changed their plea to guilty for 55 years without parole, instead of the now offered deal of 25 to life without parole. Both Peter and Michael turned the offer down and claimed that they were not Guilty for the abduction case. Beatrice takes my face in her warm hands and kisses me gently.

"Today, whatever power those two men hold over you, gets taken away. Today, the truth about them is exposed. Today, the city, no, the nation, hears the truth about what those men did to you. Today, you become the bigger man." She says.

I smile at her and brush a lock of hair behind her ear.

"I'm lucky to have you in my corner," I state, kissing her quickly. "I'm gonna go say Goodbye to Graham, and then I'm good to leave."

I walk into Graham's nursery where he sleeps in his crib. I pick him up, holding him to my chest.

"Hey, buddy," I whisper. "Momma and I are going out for a little bit. Behave for Grandma and Grandpa while we're gone."

I kiss his forehead, lay him back in the crib, and exit the nursery. I walk down the stairs spotting Natalie and Andrew sitting in the living room.

"He's down for his nap so he should be quiet for a little bit. If you can't get him back down, there's a bottle of milk prepared for him that just needs to be warmed in the fridge." I say.

Natalie nods and smiles at me. Andrew looks up with tired eyes.

"The fight never ends for you, my boy." He says, taking my hand. "Good luck today. We're rooting for you."

I smile, nodding at them. Tris waves goodbye to her parents and we walk to the car. We climb in and I drive us to the courthouse, our hands intertwined the whole way there. I park beside Zeke as he and Shauna get out of his car. Their faces are relaxed, but deep down, the nerves are setting in. Tris and I climb out, linking our hands together again. A large gauntlet of reporters surround Zeke, Shauna, Tris, and I as we approach the Courthouse. Questions are thrown at us, bouncing back and forth through my head.

"Detective Pedrad, is it true you donated a portion of your liver to Detective Eaton in order for him to survive?" One reporter asks.

"No Comment," Zeke replies.

Zeke and Shauna enter the courthouse, hiding from the reporters behind the safety of the large oak-wood doors.

"Detective Eaton, are the allegations against Peter Hayes and Michael Coulter true? Did they really shoot and drown you?" Another reporter asks.

My heart throbs in my chest and it's like I'm back in that tub again, blood being poured over me.

"No Comment," I say weakly.

I approach the stairs and my hand is empty. Tris stands before the crowd holding her hands out to back them off.

"Enough!" She exclaims. "That is enough. Can't you see that Tobias and Zeke have already been put through Hell and back? Can't you see that you're putting them through it again? These men are suffering enough without your insufferable questioning. Leave us all alone. If we have a statement for you, we will come and find you."

The reporters cower away and Tris approaches me.

"Okay, that was kinda hot," I state, smiling down at her. "What was that about?"

Tris looks up at me, an eyebrow raised.

"You've been through Hell and back. Today, we kill those Assholes who did this to you. I'm not gonna stand by and watch as these reporters put you through all of that again just for a story. It isn't worth it." She says.

I smile, talking her hand. We enter the court, the courtroom completely silent now. Zeke and I look at one another and walk forward through the gauntlet. Tris's hand tightly squeezes my own and we approach the swinging door. I look at Tris and kiss her cheek.

"I'll be right here if you need me," She says.

I nod. Zeke kisses Shauna goodbye and we go through the swinging door and take our seats beside Amar and Lauren. The courtroom fills with talk again and I exhale sharply. The doors open again and the room is silent. I look over my shoulder and see Peter and Michael being escorted forward to their seats by Will and Marlene. They're uncuffed and allowed to sit, a bailiff on each side of them. Their attorney, Daren Russel, is the same attorney from Richard's case. Zeke closes his eyes and inhales sharply. The judge exits his chambers and everyone stands on their feet, watching him.

"You may all be seated," He says, allowing everyone to take their seat. "Today marks the start of the trial of Tobias Eaton and Ezekiel Pedrad against Peter Hayes and Michael Coulter. Mr. Russel, I'll have you deliver your opening statement please if you have one prepared."

Darren stands from his seat, walking before the audience, then to the jury box, a small smirk on his face.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, my name is Mr. Daren Russel, defense attorney for Peter Jerald Hayes and Michael Robert Coulter, ex-detectives with the Chicago Police Department Homicide Investigation Unit. Today, you have been trusted with the following task: listen to the facts of a case—an all too familiar case to this city, state, and nation. Detectives Hayes and Coulter implore you to search deep down in your hearts to find sympathy for them in this time of Solace. These boys didn't mean to hurt anyone." Mr. Russel says.

His speech goes on for another 35 minutes, totaling at just under 40 minutes of speaking. He repeats facts over and over in his speech, hoping to drill them into the jury-members's skulls, hoping to earn their vote for not-guilty. Daren takes his seat beside his clients, nodding to them as they whisper back and forth to one another. The judge clears his throat and looks over at our table.

"Mr. Green, Miss. Meyers, the floor is all yours if you have a prepared Opening statement." He says.

Do you think the Jury will vote guilty?
After they hear all of the facts of the trial, they most certainly will not vote not-guilty.
So that's a yes?
That's a Hell yes. No jury in the state, let alone the nation would vote to keep those boys out on the streets. They're too dangerous.