[23] - Torture

[Tobias Eaton]

[Tobias Eaton]

Zeke and I return to our seats after checking on Shauna. Daren tore her apart and bore her soul to an audience of people who do not know her. She was hurt and embarrassed, and this was just the beginning.

"I'll kill him," Zeke says, practically spitting the words out, seething with anger for Daren hurting his Fiancée in such a way.

I nod. Amar looks just as angry as he and Lauren exit the Judge's chambers, bantering back and forth about the facts of the case. Amar sits beside us, his dark eyes full of hatred.

"Daren is out of line. He has no right to treat people that way." He says, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Judge Clark returns and the Trial continues on. Daren stands from his seat, looking down at his list.

"I call forward Drew Cason to the stand." He says.

Drew stands from his seat in the back of the courtroom and approaches the stand. He's sworn in then takes his seat. He wears a simplistic outfit of dress pants and a grey button down with a simplistic black tie. He looks nice.

"Mr. Cason, what is your relationship to the Defendants?" Daren asks.

Drew clears his throat and adjusts his tie. he drops his hands and folds them over the other.

"Peter and I graduated the academy together and were recruited by Chief Walker to work for the Chicago Police Department. Michael started less than a year after us and became a member of the force. I didn't really talk to either of them much, ex kept a few times in passing." Drew states.

Daren nods.

"But, here, it says that you and Peter used to be best friends back in high school." Daren says.

Drew shrugs and crosses his arms.

"Yeah. Used to be. I ended our friendship senior year of high school when he slept with my Sister then broke her heart. I don't want anything to do with him." Drew says.

The courtroom buzzes with whispers, but quickly quiets back down.

"Broke her heart how?" Daren asks.

Drew glares at Peter then looks over at Zeke and I.

"Peter and my sister, Anna, had been dating for three years. Her told her that he loved her, told her that she was his world, then went off and slept with some drunk cheerleader at the Senior end-of-year kegger. When Anna found out about it, it was like three years of her life had just been wasted. She slit her wrists in the bathroom with the door locked. Thank God I found her in time. She's been recovering well." He says. "But I despise Peter Hayes."

The room is buzzing again. Daren's face is disgustingly pale and he exhales sharply. His defense didn't turn out how he thought it would.

"The defense rests, your Honor." He says, defeated.