↦ chapter 1

8:30 am, tuesday |
(miranda's pov)
"of course it's a damn tuesday."

Beep-beep! Beep-beep!

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring loudly. groaning, i roll over to turn it off and go back to sleep. i catch a quick glimpse of the time while doing so.

8:30 am

shit! i'm gonna be late to work!

i practically jump out of bed and dash into the shower. i quickly washed my hair, shaved, and washed the rest of my body. hopping out, i grabbed the nearest outfit i could find. it wasn't the best, but it worked. i brushed my hair quickly and braided it as fast as i could.

i grabbed a few things from the top of dresser and ran out the door. there was no time for breakfast, i had to be at work in less than 10 minutes!

by the time i reached the bus stop, the bus door were closing. "wait!" i yelled out, but they didn't hear me. i dashed as fast i could to try and make it, but unfortunately i didn't.

the bus doors had just finished closing once i got there. as the driver drove off, i was splashed with tons of dirty, disgusting street water. worst part is that i can't even run back home to change, i don't want to risk being later than i already am.

well, that's new york for you! i sighed and picked myself up, doing my best to dry myself off.

of course it's a damn tuesday.
———
"there you are miranda! you're 20 minutes late, what the hell happened?" my boss, kathy, scolded at me.

i let out a sigh and tried to explain to her what happened this morning, and, to my surprise, she listened. "oh, well i'm really sorry to hear that. just head out back and get your apron on, customers should start arriving in like 5 minutes." she said.

"thank you so much" i said to kathy and made my way to the storage room. i was lucky enough to have a good manager that left spare aprons and clothes in the back.

i just realized that i haven't explained who i am yet. hi, i'm miranda roberts. i'm 23 years old and work at starbucks. that's really all there is to know about me.

"MIRANDA!" i suddenly snapped out of my daze. "jesus christ, if you came to work just to doze off then you should've just called in sick or something!" kathy yelled at me once again.

"sorry" i mumbled, heading to my position at the registers.
———

** 9:30 pm, closing hours **

"whew, that was a long day!" i said, taking off my cap and laughing a bit. kathy scoffed, "it could've been a lot worse. you're taking the closing shift tonight since i had the opening one." i nodded at her as she took off her apron and cap, setting it on top of the counter for me to put away later. we waved goodbye to eachother and she left.

now i'm all alone.

i began to do the regular closing shift duties, wiping down the tables and counters, reorganizing the chairs, mopping, etc.

in 15 minutes i was finished. i sighed in relief and went to the storage room to change into my original pair of clothes, which still smells like sewer water. gross.

i locked up the coffee shop and made my way home. thank god today was finally over. i was so looking forward to ordering some food and chilling at home, watching a couple episodes of "You."

but, of course, not everything goes according to plan. that's just not how life works.

while spacing out, i ended up bumping into someone. yikes, that was completely my fault! i should probably help them up and apologize.

"shit..!" the person began to speak "i'm sorry sorry! i should've watched where i was going!" i laughed it off. "no worries, that was totally my fault!" the stranger reached out their hand to help me up, and i took it.

once i was finally up on my feet, i dusted myself off and looked at the man. "thanks for helping me up, i really appreciate-" i was cut off by them speaking

"miranda?"

i was confused. i've never seen this person in my life, how did they know my name? "sorry do i... know you?" i said, tilting my head in confusion.

"it's me! corbyn! from high school! wow, i haven't seen you in so long." he spoke.

oh my god. this has to be some sick joke, right? i just ran into the guy who broke my heart years ago.

————