↦ chapter 7

8:50 pm,  friday |
(miranda's pov)
"you said you'd stay over, remember?"

8:50 pm,  friday | ✰(miranda's pov)"you said you'd stay over, remember?"

MY jaw dropped.

"what do you mean you have to kiss me..?" i said, whisper screaming at corbyn. he sighed wiped the tears out of my eyes. "it's the only way that he'll go away. the only way that he'll believe you have a boyfriend." corbyn said, brushing my hair out of my face.

my mind began to race. was he just using this as an excuse to kiss me? or would it actually make the man go away? i peered over, the guy was still standing there. oh my god.

"don't stress it." corbyn said to me "just remember, this kiss means nothing, alright?" i looked back up at corbyn, but before i could say anything, his hands were already on my cheeks.

before i knew it, we were at it again. our lips attached together, neither of us pulling out yet.

we could hear a sudden gasp and footsteps getting farther away from us, as if someone were to be running away. it worked, corbyn was right.

i immediately pulled away, and corbyn did as well. he looked me in my eyes and smiled a bit, i turned my head away in embarrassment. "the man is gone now. you can leave." i said while attempting to avoid eye contact. corbyn grinned at me and pulled out his phone, opening our text messages. "you said you'd stay over, remember?" he said, with a slight laugh. my eyes widened.

well, shit.

"if we wanna make it before it's pitch black and all the stray cats start running around, we better go now." corbyn said, motioning me to follow him. i sighed and shook my head. why do i always make decisions while i'm thinking in the moment?
———
"so, miranda, how has your life been?" corbyn said in an attempt to start conversation. we'd been walking in silence this entire time.

"it's been alright, but it definitely could be a lot better." i said, looking at the ground. he tilted his head in confusion. "why so?" he asked. "well, ever since i moved to new york, it's been hella lonely" i muttered "i haven't had any friends except for my manager and my co-worker." corbyn frowned. "you never tried to branch out a bit?"

"oh believe me, i did. i guess it didn't work out because i never let people in, i was closed off. i didn't want to get hurt again." i said, coldly. corbyn looked away, knowing that i was mentioning that one night by saying that. "my bad." he mumbled. "oh no, you're fine! that experience didn't hurt me in any way shape or form! seeing the man you loved kissing up on your best friend isn't scarring at all!" i spoke, the sarcasm very present in my voice.

we didn't speak for the rest of the walk to his apartment.
———
once we arrived at the complex, corbyn led me to where he stayed. his keys jingled as he unlocked the door and held it open for me. i stepped inside.

it smelled like cheap cologne and fast food in here.

"there's a room over there to your left. you're lucky i cleaned the sheets last night, they smelled awful." corbyn said, laughing. i nodded at him and opened the door, setting down my backpack that i bring to work. i walked out and to the kitchen, putting my bag of groceries on the counter. guess i'm making dinner for two tonight.

i heard another door crack open, which just so happened to be corbyn walking out of his bedroom. he brushed his fingers through his hair and smiled at me, looking down at the counter. "what are you making?" he asked. "pasta. do you want some?" corbyn nodded and licked his lips. "smells really good. i'm willing to bet you're a great cook." i smiled at him as a friendly gesture.

"you don't mind if i play some music, do you?" corbyn asked while picking up his phone. i shook my head. "play whatever you want, this is your house. just make sure it isn't bad." he laughed.

"do you like lauv?" he asked. i beamed and nodded my head quickly. "he's my favorite artist at the moment! his music is amazing." corbyn smiled, but quickly looked away in an attempt to hide it.

he tapped a few things on his phone before music started playing out of his speaker. "this is one of my favorite songs by him, it's called who. it features jungkook and jimin from bts." i nodded my head and started dancing to the song. "wow, it's REALLY good." i thought to myself.

corbyn was having fun, too. he was singing and jumping around, it really looked like he was enjoying himself. i laughed a bit, i haven't seen him this happy in a while.

then again, i haven't seen HIM in a while.

i left the pasta to boil and walked over to where he was. i joined just as the chorus came on. i was laughing and smiling, and so was he. then, jungkook's part came on. corbyn slowed down a bit, and so did i.

he looked into my eyes and held my waist. i froze, not knowing what to do. his stare was intimidating.

"feeling hypnotized by the words that you said."
"do you remember? when we would dance in my kitchen countless nights on end?" corbyn said.

"don't lie to me, i just get in my head."
"when we genuinely enjoyed each other's company? when i'd spin you around and you wouldn't even mind?" corbyn continued to speak.

"when the morning comes you're still in my bed."
"when you would tell me that you love me? we would plan our future out together, everything from what our wedding would look like and what dogs we'd have."

"but it's so, so cold."
i began to get nervous, swallowing the lump in my throat as corbyn towered over me. i did remember. i didn't forget, i never wanted to forget.

"who are you?"
corbyn began to inch himself closer to my lips. i started to sweat and my heart was beating fast. why couldn't i pull away? did i want to pull away..?

"cause you're not the girl i fell in love with."
my breathing turned heavy as corbyn's lips were centimeters away from mine. he rested his forehead on mine as well, looking deeply into my eyes. "i love you." he said.

just as he said that, the chorus began, and he backed away. my heart was still racing and my face was completely red. corbyn smirked and walked away, knowing exactly what he did to me. i silently swore myself out. how could i let myself get so close to a guy who broke my heart before? he's probably just trying to do the same thing again!

"i love you."

3 words. those stupid 3 words that kept flooding through my head. i should've never walked over to him. i should've never danced with him. i should've just stayed in the kitchen.

i could have backed away, but why didn't i? what was he doing to me?

————