↦ chapter 11

8:30 am, sunday | ♪
(miranda's pov)
"we aren't even a thing!"

8:30 am, sunday |  ♪(miranda's pov)"we aren't even a thing!"

"DANIEL?" corbyn said with a shocked look on his face. his gaze switched between me and him, looking equally as confused and hurt every time he switched. he shook his head and faced me. "are you kidding?" he said to me through gritted teeth. i looked up at daniel, he was staring at the ground.

corbyn's eyes were locked on me. i could feel his gaze growing more and more aggressive as the air surrounding us got even more tense.

"i'll just leave you both to talk." daniel eventually said, walking away. i turned my head to face corbyn. he looked hurt. "can we take this outside?" i sighed and corbyn nodded. "gladly." he said, sternly.

the moment i shut the door, corbyn was already asking me a thousand questions. "where did you guys go last night? did he hurt you? was he making you feel uncomfortable? did you guys... you know?" corbyn started saying. "my god can you please just calm down?! nothing happened between us!" i said.

"i'm just trying to look after you!" corbyn yelled. "but by "looking after me" you're restricting everything that i can do! besides, we aren't even a thing!" corbyn scoffed. "well i wish we were, okay? but hey, can't have everything you want i guess." he said bitterly. we both fell silent and the tension in the air grew.

"corbyn i-" "save it." he cut me off. i heard him sniffle and watched him blink back tears of frustration. "my feelings don't matter that much. just go have fun with daniel." corbyn said as he began to slowly walk away.

"i'm sorry!" i yelled out to him. he stopped and slowly turned around. "don't pity me, don't give me false hope. i should've taken the hint a long time ago. goodbye, miranda. i'll leave you alone now." corbyn said and walked away.

i sighed and leaned on the front door, slowly sliding down. corbyn just walked out of my life. shouldn't i be happy? isn't this what i wanted?
———

*** 4 months later ***

"miranda could you go get the phone? someone's making a phone order and i'm busy right now." janelle said while making somebody's coffee. i nodded and picked up the phone.

"hey, is this starbucks? i'm 99.99% sure i got the wrong place." a male voice spoke over the phone. i laughed and shook my head. "nope, you got the right place!" i said to them. they laughed and let out a sigh of relief. "i never place phone orders, so bare with me alright?" "alright sir, what can i get you?"

as they placed their order, i couldn't help but realize that their voice sounded oddly familiar. i couldn't put my finger on it, though.

"and that'll be all i guess." the man spoke. "oh, wait! i need a chocolate cake pop for my girlfriend." i wrote it down and told the guy that his order would be ready in 10 minutes. he told me he was heading out, so i hung up the phone.

i wonder who that was? i had definitely heard their voice before.

i shook it off and began to make their drink. i shouldn't be worrying about this stuff, i'm just here to get my paycheck and go home.

i finished the drink a few minutes later, and just as i did, a VERY familiar face walked in. he had a white hoodie on with blue jeans and white air force 1's. something about him was ringing an alarm inside of me, but i didn't know what.

i grabbed the drink and slid it over the counter along with the chocolate cake pop. the guy looked from his phone and reached into his back pocket as if he were to grab his wallet. he pulled out his card and handed it to me.

i swiped the card and gave it back. "thanks" he said and looked up at me. his greenish-blue eyes meet mine, causing us both to freeze up.

"miranda..?"

————