11

Roman stood there staring at his reflection with a heavy heart. He knew he did this far to often but he couldn't help it. Not when every time he does, all he see's is a beast. His golden eyes shined with unshed tears as he placed a soft finger just below his right, pressing lightly on the skin to get a better look. Even normal he couldn't look normal. He still had his eyes showing just how monstrous he was. This was his routine. 

Eye's... still golden.
Teeth? Roman opened his mouth a bit running his tongue over a fang before deflating. Still have fangs.
Hair? Roman cringed slightly at himself as he looked up through his bangs to see his mess of hair. He never really thought much about it, mainly because he hated thinking about it but still... His hair was a lot courser than it used to be. A lot darker too. His hair had a mix of red and grey littered about the black. He used to have a nice light red hair, like a sort of yellowish-orange. It was the same color his twin and his father had. Now he had this...
Curse mark? Roman's eyes darted to his shoulder and his eyes narrowed with hate. It was like this odd spell circle with a dragon in it inside a shield similar to his own shield design he drew as a boy. It was forever stained to his skin in inky black. He hated it so much. There was a time when he... when he uh... well when he tried to get rid of the mark. Obviously it didn't work, because it was still there.

The door creaked open a bit but Roman was so lost in thought he didn't notice. He just stood there trying to hold back his anger. He leaned against the mirror with both hands as he held his head down. He choked back the sobs refusing to let them sound as started to shake. 20 years. He's been stuck at the castle alone for the most part and cursed... for 20 fucking years. Even with Virgil here now... and has been here for months now... he just still feels alone.

Virgil's been in the castle for a few months. In that time Roman's been teaching him sign, with surprisingly Virgil was quick in picking up. Virgil's been teaching Roman how to cook and garden, despite repetitively stating he should be doing it since he was the servant. Roman's never really told Virgil who he was. For months Virgil's been playing his part... doing his jobs and tasks no question's asked all while never once asking why ROman should need a servant and why he lived in a castle. Virgil's never cared. That concerned Roman of course, after all the man just signed himself over to servitude without a second thought as to who he was serving all for a man who clearly didn't deserve it. He never even comment about the magic which Roman knows he knows about. He just... accepted that this was his life now. It just doesn't seem right.

A hand went to Roman's back making the Prince whip around in shock. He grabbed the other by the throat only to snap out of his fear the moment he saw it was Virgil. His eyes went wide as he quickly let go taking a step back only to bump into the mirror.

"I'm sorry. I didn't... I wasn't thinking. I..."

'It's ok, Roman.' Virgil signed with a small smile as Roman forced himself to take a deep breath. 'I just came to say that dinner was done.' Roman nodded as Virgil turned and started out the door only to pause and glance back with a frown. His hand went to his neck making Roman's heart drop as Virgil looked away. 

"Virgil, I am sorry. You know I would never..."

"It's ok, Roman." Roman's eyes went wide as Virgil's soft and shaky voice flitted about the air. "You're hurting..." Virgil smiled sadly as he let his hand drop. "This is the 5 time this week I've found you like that."

"I didn't know you... You never said anything about it." Virgil just rolled his eyes softly as he shook his head.

'I didn't want to make it worse for you.' Virgil signed before walking out the door leaving Roman there with his thoughts. Virgil spoke. Roman couldn't help but smile a little. Sure he's spoken to Roman a few times since his arrival but it's always seemed to catch the prince off guard. He doesn't expect it. He wants to get to a point where Virgil feels safe enough to not have to sign with him anymore. Unfortunately, if he keeps having episodes like that Virgil never will. Roman groaned as he ran a shaky hand through his hair.

For the past few months, Virgil's been slowly relaxing. He's started to get used to things here. He's taken, what Roman hopes to be, pride in his role in the castle. There are times when things are... set back. Roman's anger episodes are one of them. He's had to become accustomed to Virgil's attacks. Many times he'd find the other frozen in some sort of state, or curled up in a ball sobbing. He's even found Virgil hiding in the closet a few times, much to his surprise. Each and every time he's stayed with him. Helped him when he could or just stayed to give support when he couldn't. He's grown attached to Virgil's presence, that's for sure. 

Every time Remus comes over he's always making jokes about how 'protective' Roman was of the younger. He really didn't understand why, but Remus always did. So what if Roman was protective, not that he's really noticed, Virgil is his servant. As a prince it's his duty to protect those that are under him... shouldn't he?

"Roman?" Roman jumped as he looked over to see Virgil standing in the doorway again with this sad look in his eyes. "Are you coming? Your food will get cold."

"Yeah..." Roman smiled softly as he followed Virgil out the door. "I'm coming."