17

"Stupid Roman..." Virgil cried silently as he trudged through the woods. "Stupid man... Stupid, stupid..." Virgil wiped his tears away only to laugh at himself as more fell. He didn't even understand why he was crying. He should be happy. He was free. Sure Roman never actually said the line 'you're free to go'. In fact Roman fought for him to stay but... Roman never forced him to stay. Roman said he didn't want him there.

The issue was... Did Virgil really want to go home? 
Back to his father of all people?

Virgil laughed again as he hugged himself. Maybe that was why he was crying? It made sense...

"I'm leaving the only place I felt safe..." Virgil couldn't stop the way he giggled in broken realization. "...to return to a place where I was abused." Virgil tense up at the sound of a twig snapping. He clutched his bag strap to his chest firmly as his eyes darted about the quiet. Another snap made him spin around only for a deer to take off in the other direction. Virgil laughed at himself as he shook his head. "It's just a deer. Jesus, Virgil... the chances of you see a... wolf..." 

Virgil's eyes went wide as he caught sight of a grey wolf looking right at him. Its golden eyes shined as Virgil started to slowly take a few steps back. The wolf's head snapped over with a growl as he took off leaving Virgil there in a slight panic.

"Just move. Virgil, just move..." Virgil whimpered with anxiety as he forced his legs to move. He didn't quite know where he was going but he was going and that's all that mattered to him. His mind kept going back to the wolf. It looked familiar. He could get it out of his head. He knew he saw it before. When... when did he... oh. "It's the wolf I saw at the pond." Virgil smiled a little as he pushed himself over a fallen tree. "Maybe that's why it didn't attack me? Maybe it remembered me? I ran away from it though..." Virgil sighed as he kept walking, holding the strap close in case he had to run. He prayed he didn't. He's strong. He's had to be. From all the wood chopping and all the tasks and odd jobs, his father had forced him to do. He isn't real fast though. Where exactly would he have gone if he ran. He never ran. He always stayed home doing whatever he was told. He was done.

Where ever he ended up now, he wasn't ever going to let himself become a tool. He was a man. Roman treated him like a person. Taught him to see himself as a person... it just felt wrong to go back on that. So regardless of where he ended up... He was going to be his own man. No more letting people use him. No more letting others walk all over him. He had to start sticking up for himself. He had to liv-...

A gunshot sounded nearby catching Virgil's attention as more deer ran past his path. He ducked behind a tree hoping that he he didn't move they wouldn't mistake him for an animal. It was hard to breathe. When he heard the sound of receding footsteps he let out a shaky breath and smiled.

"Ok. Ok... just get up, Virg..." His eyes met those cool black and his blood froze. A dark grey wolf stood there on top of a rock and he actually started to cry. That wasn't the wolf from before. Virgil took off running unsure what else to do. If he was going to die he would at least put up some sort of an effort. 

He ran tripping on literally everything his feet managed to find all while the sound of howls drew closer as if mocking him. Virgil stumbled his way to a clearing only to break down seeing a drop. he tripped and fell to his face with a cry as he quickly spun around to see three dark wolves stalking closer and closer until. 

The grey wolf from before slammed into one, sending the both of them writhing in the dirt before a small whimper sounded and the one with the golden eyes stood over top the now dead with a snarl. The other two crouched in obvious threat as lighter one slowly moved to put himself between Virgil and the others. Virgil was tense that was for sure. He looked around for an escape but there was nothing but rocks around him.

On of the dark wolves tried to get past the lighter only for it to snap and growl making it go back to where it was before. The two dark wolves looked at each other before both started to move closer in opposite directions. The lighter one just looked between the two before one took a step to close and it attacked. As the lighter one attacked the one on the left, the one on the right went after Virgil. Only to get thrown back by some unknown force. The lighter one grabbed the left one by the neck snapping it before literally throwing the body into the other, who simply whimpered and ran away.

Virgil was frozen in fear as the wolf slowly turned around as if making sure Virgil was ok. Its eyes narrowed as Virgil fumbled for a smaller rock. Virgil gripped it tightly as he watched the wolf take a step closer only to jump and shoot Virgil an almost confused look as a rock got thrown at its feet.

"Stay away." The wolf tilted it's head as Virgil grabbed another rock slowly starting to move at to distance between them. This flash of fear passed the wolf's eyes as it tried to take another step only to yip as the rock hit it's paw that time. "I said stay a-away." It wouldn't listen. It moved closer making Virgil grab another rock throwing it as hard as he could right at the wolf's head, who just took the hit. It shook his head to rid itself of the pain as he nudged the rock away. Virgil could see the small bit of blood coating the fur from where the rock had cut its face. "Please... please just stay away." The wolf bowed it's head trying to show submission but Virgil was to panicked to read it. He scrambled back only for the wolf to bark, just as Virgil realized why it was so afraid... Virgil had forgotten about the drop. 

Virgil's eyes went wide as the ground caved underneath him. His eyes met with the wolf's who dashed to catch him but it was too late. Virgil ended up falling right down the cliffside. His body took the brunt of it all. All the rocks that cut into him... the twigs and sticks... He ended up slamming into a large boulder covered in moss, crying out in immense pain. 

He couldn't breathe. His lungs burned so badly. His head was swimming. The world refused to stop tilting on him. He couldn't move. His body was all cut up and bleeding. He was sure at least one of his legs was broken. He didn't even know about his arms. He just laid there lost to the pain. 

He looked up just in time to see the wolf sliding down the cliff and he tensed unable to run away. the wolf paced back and forth in front of him with clear anxiety making Virgil actually laugh a bit. He was crazy. That's what it was. He's hallucinating. He...

The wolf whimpered pathetically as it laid it's head down into the dirt. Virgil's eyes went wide as the wolf slowly but surely crawled it's way closer like a dog. Virgil's hand was laid unmoving and outstretched as the wolf moved closer to it. It whined and whimper as if terrified as it licked Virgil's hand. The world was starting to go black as the wolf jumped up and pushed closer nudging Virgil a bit before jumping back and circling about as if trying to think.

"G-Good..." Virgil coughed crying out at the pain in his chest and side making the wolf whimper as it rushed back over and laid down right beside the man. Virgil smiled through the pain as his fingers twitched, trying to move. The wolf whined as it rubbed up against the man clearly highly upset over Virgil having gotten hurt. "G-Good boy." The wolf froze up as Virgil's eyes slowly started to close. It yipped trying to keep the man awake as it licked his cheeks making Virgil laugh. "Th-Thank... thank yo-..."

"VIRGIL?!"