That's What Big Sisters Are For

Because Big Sister!Hela AU is underrated. Also inspired by verca_novona on Instagram.

Hela was, for now at least, the goth and emo sister of the Odin family. Despite most people thinking that the "iTs nOT a PHasE mOm" archetype is a modern Earth thing, Hela is proof that it's existed for thousands for years. It's not to say she doesn't care for her family and brothers. She's just being the angsty teen she was.

You can't exactly blame her. Being the Goddess of Death doesn't come with much praise. Even less than the supposed God of Lies and Tricks.

Speaking of whom, one day Hela's door was assaulted with quick and frantic knocks. She stood from her vanity and opened the door, revealing a very upset Loki in a tattered dress. Her presence seemed to have snapped them out of their frantic actions. Loki straightened themself out, the tears and dirty state of them weakening the effect.

"May I come in?" Loki sniffed. Somewhere deep within Hela's black soul there was still a heart that beat. This was her brother- or rather sister at the moment. With a sigh she moved aside, letting the youngest sibling in.

He (or she- this is kind of weird) made their way to Hela's bedside, sitting down on it. Or, perhaps sitting up on it, as the youngest was still quite short despite her age. The dress didn't help much either

"Alright," Hela said in a somewhat annoyed tone, "what is it? Who do you need me to fight?"

"What? No," Loki countered. Was that a smile? Well it doesn't matter much, as it disappeared as quickly as it came. "I just..." she trailed off, eyes scanning the floor. After a moment of contemplation a new, determined look fell over her face. "I want you to teach me how to do my hair!" She declared in a burst of confidence. "Your hair is always really pretty and I want it like that... please," she added, mumbling.

This caught Hela a bit off guard. Frigga had told her I private one day that Loki sometimes likes to be a girl and sometimes likes to be a boy. She at first found it weird. But when she saw Loki's courage and hope I'm their eyes as they asked her, her cold black heart couldn't help but shine a little.

Part of her, though she'd never admit it in a million years, was thinking 'how is this child so fucking adorable and how can I keep the safe in my arms forever and ever.' Another part was thinking 'how pissed off will Odin will be at this and how can I make it even worse.'

Besides, Hela had never been one to fit into Asgard's standards for gender either, despite Odin's requests. If it made her little brother- or sister happy, then making Odin mad about it was a huge bonus.

A smirk crossed Hela's face. She moved to her vanity, grabbing the chair and twisting it to face Loki. She gestured to it with a flourishing hand, "Have a seat little sis."

Another crack in her black hole of a soul appeared as Loki's face lit up. She quickly ran to sit, barely keeping still out of excitement.

When Loki appeared at dinner that night with a curly bob cut and full makeup, Odin was certainly not amused. But the proud look Hela got from her mother made it worth it.