Chapter 13: The Book Beyond the Cover

Youya's POV:

"Rin-sama, how are you feeling now?" asked Hina-san while checking the already healed wounds on Rin's right arm. He snatched it roughly from her grip. "I'm fine, you hypocritical woman" he said frowning. Ayane-san glared at him with rage for his disrespectful name-calling, but let it slide this time.

"Then, I think we can get going now" said Hina-san ignoring what she just heard. I rose up from the bed that I haven't been allowed to leave my whole recovery period.

"But you're really a tough one you know, you're as good as new after only a couple of days" commented Hina-san. "Hah, that's nothing, I've gotten some way worse wounds in the past" he answered arrogantly with a smirk on his face.

"Well, sorry for not being an immortal monster like him" I said pouting, feeling really annoyed that I didn't get fully recovered even though I had way fewer injuries than Rin.

"Haha, sorry, Youya-chan, I didn't mean that" said Hina-san. "Pffft" laughed Ayane-san at our comedic mini argument. I smiled slightly seeing that I was able to make her laugh again with some dumb comments. She was really feeling down since that day when I met the mysterious magician, she was barely smiling or eating any of her meals. I realized how worried Hina-san was too, because of both Ayane-san and the mysterious magician.

"Jaa, get changed all of you, we'll get going in the afternoon, be ready!" Said Ayane-san cheerfully.

******

"Rin" I called out and ran to him. He was walking some blocks ahead of us, while Hina-san and Ayane-san were having a small joyous chat, so I found my chance to get to talk to Rin alone.

"What do you want?" said Rin in an annoyed tone. "And call me Rin-sama, you gaki!! (brat)"

"Can you explain more about what you meant when you said you had to hide your whole life, R I N" I asked and teased him in the end.
"You! Rin janai! katsur- Agh just forget it. Anyway, why are you asking?" His face got serious while just moments ago he was about to punch me in the face.

"Mhm, I guess I'm just interested in those 'blacks' ranked and all" I said while rubbing the back of my head restlessly.

Rin stared at me with an unusual calm look and..... soft eyes? He sighed and entwined his hands' fingers behind his head. "Well, I guess I have to start from the beginning" he stated. "I don't know who my parents are, they abandoned me after I was born, they were probably too poor to raise a child considering the fact that I was found in the poorest district" he said while focusing his sight on the horizon. "I lived in an orphanage until I was 4 years old or something, but then my powers started to appear, the children in there were scared of me so I got kicked out immediately. But my old shishou (master/teacher) found me right away when I was wandering the city, starving and lost. He took me in and helped me control my powers" he said and I managed to catch an instantaneous smile. Not a usual villainous smirk, but an actual smile. "It wasn't easy for him though. He was risking his life by keeping a black magician hidden from the authorities, I had to always live in an underground hideout, barely able to see the sunlight, just training and training hoping that one day I'll be strong enough to not make my shishou worry nor to force him to keep hiding".

My first impression of Rin, no, Rin-san, was that he's totally crazy and mean, but hearing his side of the story now, maybe I misjudged the book from its cover.

"So now, when I finally got out of that stinking hideout, I'm going to be the strongest man alive! I'll beat all other magicians and become the king of pirate-,ahm, I mean the hokag- no! still not right, ANYWAY, I'll be the strongest!"

"......."

Never mind, I was hasty. He is definitely an idiot. And crazy. A crazy idiot that it.
"Oookaaay, strongest man alive, where is your shishou anyway?" I asked. "Dunno" he answered simply while munching an apple that he got from god-know-where.

"He just disappeared two years ago and stopped coming to the hideout. When I was just about to starve to death, I decided to step outside and find him!" He said and turned around to face Ayane-san and Hina-san and threw them an apple each. They did barely catch them because of the sudden throw. "Heeey, don't throw food like that!" Scolded Ayane-san, but her scolding was kind of friendly.

"Now stop asking, brat!" he yelled at me ignoring whatever Ayane-san was saying in the background and shoved a big apple in my mouth. He started laughing with tears and said that I looked like a grilled pig.

Agh! I knew I hated this man!

Sorry for the long wait, for the shorter chapter, and for bad humored anime references along the way 🤣🤣

Anyway, the Shishou is something like the picture, I couldn't find anything better so don't judge okay 🤣🤓
I'm not sure if I want him to appear later in the story or not, but we'll see. Tell me if you have any suggestions🥰

See you everyone ❤