Chapter 14: Families and Ties

Darkness was all that could be seen, only some few candles on the sidewalls lighted the long corridor leading her downwards. She took every step with shaking legs as fear squeezed her heart tightly. She could hear her mother's voice downstairs at the end of the corridor. She was yelling and sobbing too much. The little girl wondered what that tone she could hear in her mother's voice could hold.

"Please I'll do anything!" "Have mercy!" "What are you doing here?!"  "I'm too weak"

"Please I'll do anything!" "Have mercy!" "What are you doing here?!" "I'm too weak"

Her mother's voice kept echoing and got louder and louder. "I'm........sorry" the voice whispered at the end, the girl got a chill shiver running down her spine and she had a very bad feeling. Then everything went pitch black.

Suddenly a picture of her mother lying in a pool of her blood numbly on the ground appeared. She couldn't move or do anything as she saw her mother's life fading away right in front of her eyes. She gave a bloody scream and...

....she opened her eyes and shot up quickly. She was panting and sucked up in cold sweat. That nightmare again! She hated nightmares. Especially that one. Counting all the times she saw that scene in the dreams, she started doubting if that really happened in the first place or if it was just one of the nightmares.

"Mmhhm, Ayane....-san?" The sleepy voice of Youya said as he perked up his head still half asleep. He had one eye closed as he started to open when he realized Ayane's terrified expression. He sat up in his bed.

"What's the matter?" He said concerned. "Nothing, go back to sleep, kid" she rushly answered. Unsatisfied with the answer, Youya wanted to ask more but he knew better than to push the topic any further. He laid back on the bed while thoughts spun inside his head.

"Okay, let's talk later" he finally said. Ayane stared at him for a second, not liking the idea of talking about her nightmares to this kid who has nothing to do with them. She felt bad for dragging him into this mess, but there was no going back at this point.

******

In the morning, Youya's POV:

"Morning!" Said Hina-san with an unusual cheerfulness.

"Uh, good morning, Hina-san, what's up?" I answered. Rin tossed in his bed clearly annoyed with our voices.

"Let me sleeeeep, idiots!" He yelled at us still half asleep. I frowned and crossed my arms. I grabbed my pillow as I stood up from the bed and threw it at this sleepy head.

"Wha-, brat! You finally did it!" He said as he literally jumped from his bed and ran toward me with his weapon in his hand.

"Agggh! Not fair! I am unarmed!" I said as I ran away from Rin who chased me not showing any signs of giving up.

"Hah, that's your fault for throwing your weapon away" he said as he attacked me with the said weapon, his pillow, and knocked me off to the ground.