Chapter 16: The Encounter

The palace, Sebastian's POV:

"This is the newest thing, your highness" I heard a voice coming from the prince's room. The hallway was dark and only a thin ray of light from the barley open door was seen.

I was carrying the laundry and had a long list of housework left to do, but I still had to stop in my track for two reasons. The first one is that it was kind of late and way past the prince's bedtime. And second, the voice had a tone that I totally didn't like. Or trust. Specially when it mentioned the 'thing'.

So of course, I had to walk closer and eavesdrop. I leaned slightly on the door while I still held the laundry basket.

"And? What are the results this time? More failures are not acceptable! You hear me?!"

Ah! The usual angry voice of the young prince, unmistakable.

"Y-young prince, it's- it's complicated. We can't help that nearly no progress was made since we lost our subject" The other voice of a middle aged man said.

"Bullshit! Then what is this sample you brought today? Huh?!" The prince said while he picked a beautiful strange-looking necklace from the table in front of him as he sat in his usual corner with his usual scowl and his usual unsatisfied body language.

"That was a thing we were working on from before losing the sample. We weren't able to check its function or run any tests since we made sure it won't react to anyone but you, young prince, just as you ordered" The man said smirking with a sneaky attitude that I didn't like.

Prince Taro glared at the man with suspicion for a while before he put on the necklace.

The prince suddenly stood up and smiled wildly. He glared at his hands moving them side to side before looking up as he stretched his right hand in the air.

All of a sudden, a spoon and a glass of water started floating in the air, but they were shaking a bit. If I didn't know better, I would say prince Taro was using actual magic!

"Now that's what I call progress! Good job professor, you really surpassed yourself this time! Be positive that you will generously be rewarded!"

"Uhm, your highness, I appreciate that but you have to know that its power is so limited, I don't believe it will work on anything bigger than an apple" The one that have been mentioned as 'professor' said.