Sneaking

Everyone silenced. Finally, Tsukki raised his hand. "How are we going to sneak into a secure city? The guards would kill us in about three seconds."

"I can reassure you all that you are more trained than the guards of the Inner City," Kageyama replied. "They're the bottom of the barrel."

"So we're better than trained guards?" Tanaka chimed in with a confident grin. 

"Yes, you are. Although you all are still rough around the edges," Kageyama answered. Hinata elbowed him in the ribs. "But you are all... acceptable."

"Wow, thanks," Tsukki said, rolling his eyes. "That's the nicest thing you've said to us this entire time." 

"We have to go as soon as possible," Daichi interrupted. "My family has a large wagon that they use for trade in the Inner City. We can use that, cover ourselves with goods, and get in. I think that's the best way to get into the city."

"What if they check the carts?" Suga asked. 

"Well, we pounce them. If they're as untrained as Kageyama said, then we should be able to handle them. But after that, we have to move quick. We'll be wanted."

"Hang on, why didn't we try this before?" Nishinoya asked. "What stopped us?"

Daichi turned towards the small member. "Because we're scared of the guards and had no direction. I trust Kageyama's judgement."

Kageyama blushed, fiddling with his fingers giddily. Hinata noticed his flattered form and smiled to himself. 

"I think this plan will work. Mister Tadeka, will you allow us to take your cart?" Ennoshita asked.

"Hey, who's the leader of the gang?" Daichi interrupted before turning to the short man. "Please let us use your cart."

Tadeka smiled warmly, filling the room with comfort. "I'd be happy to help!"

"That's my friend for ya," Ukai grumbled, flipping through his old magazine with a small smirk. "Can brighten up a room and aid you with criminal activity."

"I'd like to think it's for justice!" Noya exclaimed, one foot on his stool and a fist raised towards the sky.

"You should probably head out during the night. The guards will be sleepier and may not notice you due to the lack of light," Tadeka cautioned. 

"We should get ready," Daichi added, clapping his hands. "Let's grab some weapons and head out!"

Everyone cheered in agreement, ready for the night to come. 

"Is everyone here?" Kageyama asked in a calm, collected voice. The cicada bugs sang in harmony, filling the starry sky with their voices. Everyone nodded silently, knowing they cannot break the delicate equilibrium of sereneness. A large cart to fit the entire Karasuno gang was filled with assorted, freshly picked produce in bags and crates. A depressed, skinny horse kept its head down as Tadeka petted its back. Kageyama drew his sword and tapped the large metal cart lightly with it. "This cart has not been oiled in years. Be careful of the noise while you board."

"How do you know it's not oiled?" Takeda exclaimed, hopping into the front seat with Ukai. 

"Because you have no resources to obtain oil," Kageyama replied bluntly. The group sent a silent glare towards the naive king. 

"Kags, subtlety," Hinata whispered as he climbed on with all fours. Kageyama blushed, sheathing his sword and climbing into the back next to the orange-haired boy. 

"I really hope this works," Yamaguchi whispered. Tsukki silenced him with a small "shush."

Kageyama took a deep breath. "I do, too. Have faith in your abilities," he said. 

"You're not very good at pep talks. King Oikawa could do better," Hinata commented with a small chuckle. Kageyama's fists clenched at the name. 

"Don't bring him up, please."

For the rest of the ride, it was silent. The bags of potatoes and other harvested goods pressed against each member. Hinata squished against Kageyama, staring at the bag of carrots with disdain. Light chatter from the drivers and the wheel's screeches allowed quiet mumbling throughout Karasuno.

"What's the plan after this? Where will we go?" Tanaka asked, peeking over a barrel of chilled tea. 

"We'll be taken to the 'Agriculture and Imports' building. It's in the heart of the Inner City," Kageyama said. "We'll have to sneak out when Takeda and Ukai are explaining what's inside the cart."

"Will we get spotted?"

"No one will notice us. They'll think we're everyday citizens," Kageyama said. "No one knows what's in the Outer City."

"You say that like we're trash," Tsukki said. 

"Tsukishama, you are a small step up from trash."

"It's 'Tsukishima.'"

"Sh! Shut up! We're almost there!" Nishinoya hissed, whipping his head around to the group from his lap. 

The large cart wheeled its way to the guards. Kageyama peeked out from behind a broken crate of carrots. 

"Halt. What are you transporting?" the guard on the right asked, brandishing his sword in Takeda's face. He froze up at the sight of the blade.

"We're transporting goods to the 'Agriculture and Imports' building." He took out potato and stuck it onto the sword with a relaxed, cheeky grin. "Try it."

The guard hesitated, exchanging glances with the readied guard on the left. He took a bite out of the potato. "It's fresh."

"So will you let us in?"

The two guards looked at each other, before shrugging. For all they knew, these two gentlemen were letting in more resources for the kingdom. "You have a good load."

The guards unlocked and opened the gate, one yawning in the process. Ukai lazily saluted to the two as Tadeka urged the malnourished horse to move. His shoulders relaxed as he let out a relieved sigh. "You're amazing, Ukai. I would never be able to do that."

Ukai smiled, loping his arm around the smaller man. "You're my other half."

"If you're done flirting, can you explain the scenery around us?" Daichi asked with a glare. Both men jumped at his expression. 

"We're in front of a large building that looks like it's made out of marble... or some heavy kind of rock. There are two pillars that border the entrance and lion statues on their hind legs," Tadeka started. "Is this the building? The letters on the top of the building are too small."

"Yes, that's the building," Kageyama said. "Go to one of the guards in front and talk to him. We'll sneak out while you distract them."

Tadeka nodded confidently, holding the ratty reins with trembling hands. Ukai placed a large hand over his small one. "Deep breath." His friend looked up at him, before closing his eyes and inhaling sharply.

"Okay, let's do this. Good luck guys."

The cart shuddered as it started to move. Everyone stumbled in the back, but regained ground. Ukai made sure to talk loud enough to notify them to get out, as well as masking their quiet footsteps. 

"Follow me," Kageyama ordered silently, using his hand to beckon the group to his side. He looked around, the large, ugly, concrete wall providing a strong barrier between the supposed "slums" of the kingdom and the miraculous metropolis of his kingdom. 

He looked up at the large castle looming over them on a large hill in the center of the kingdom. It felt colder than what he was used to. He took off silently, not bothering to look behind him as he darted through the shadows like a nimble doe. He kept running until they reached the true heart of the kingdom. People of all ages hustled and bustled in the lantern-filled streets, chatting and filling the peaceful air with lively attitude. 

Hinata's eyes grew wide in amazement as he spun around, taking in the sights, smells, and sounds around him. "So this is the Inner City!" He jumped up and down like an excited five year old. "This is awesome!"