Brewing Tension

"So this is where you were hiding."

Hinata and Kenma turned their heads to see Kuroo staring down at them. Kenma looked away, face red. "We were just talking."

"Oh?"

The advisor stood up and walked across the courtyard and down the hall. Hinata looked back over. "Where's Kageyama?" he asked.

"I let him train by himself for now. I taught him a neat little trick. Well, it's common sense in a way, but he needs to master it to improve his skill," Kuroo replied, putting a hand on his hip. "He's working real hard."

"Wait, he hasn't got the basics down?" Hinata asked, stifling his giggles.

"I'm guessing his parents did not value fighting during his education. He may look flashy on the outside, but he is fairly shaky when it comes to the fundamentals."

"Then why can't I beat him?" Hinata asked with a pout.

"Because you're bad," the king said with a small snort.

"What?"

"I'm joking, just joking," Kuroo said. "Kageyama is naturally better- his body is built for fighting." He sighed. "It's amazing, really. I wish I was that skilled when I was his age."

"How old are you now?"

"23."

"That's not that old," Hinata replied. "I'm turning 18 in a month from tomorrow!"

"You're going to be so grown-up," Kuroo said with a smile. "By the way, what were you and Kenma talking about?"

Hinata paused, before responding: "just how much you're a good king."

Kageyama took a deep breath, brows furrowed so much that they were almost touching. He drew his sword up to his ear, leaning onto the back of his leg as he kept a hand out and ready.

With a long, drawn-out exhale, he slowly and carefully extended the blade forward as his body weight shifted to the front. He spun around, trying to keep the blade parallel to the ground before he swung. His foot arced in the empty ballroom as his even breaths filled his ears. Sidestep, half-circle, sidestep, he repeated to himself, slowly curving around invisible marks on the floor. He kept the sword up and ready to attack at any time.

After another minute of walking in circles down the hall, he dropped his sword with a groan. "Why do I have to work on my goddamn breathing?" he grumbled, kicking the air. "I want to spar with someone."

He bent down to pick up his sword, staring at his sweaty and beaten reflection. He never had to focus on more than one thing when he was practicing. To him, it was swing and swing, aiming towards the most vulnerable part of the body. Why did he have to focus on breathing exercises and slow circles around the room?

"You're tired already?" Kuroo asked, entering the room.

"I'm not tired," Kageyama snapped, wiping the sweat from his forehead, "I'm frustrated. Why am I doing this?"

"Now now," Kuroo started, clapping the former king on the back, "I noticed that you were kind of clumsy, and I thought it had something to do with your breathing."

"What is this logic you're trying to pull out of your ass?"

"Ah, but I'm actually pulling it out of my brain. You see, when it comes to fighting you don't want to run out of breath, nor do you want to be distracted by your breathing. If you're distracted by your breathing, you're distracted by your racing heart, which results in a game over."

"So you're working on my stamina? But I have plenty of that! And I am concentrating!"

"Now now Kageyama, aren't you a tad old for hissy fits?"

A menacing aura surrounded Kageyama. Kuroo put his hands up in mock surrender. "I get that your stamina is good, but correct breathing form is not all about stamina. If you master even breaths, you will master concentration. Your concentration will go up by 200%!" he exclaimed, giving Kageyama a quick "OK" hand signal.

Kageyama loked at the floor with a flushed face. "I can see why you're the king. I thought Kenma was behind everything."

Kuroo crossed his arms with a calm smile. "I have received many comments like yours. When they first meet me, they think that Kenma is the one pulling strings. To be completely honest, I would be perfectly fine if I gave Kenma the crown- but that's not how it works here. Many people try to take advantage of me, but I see through it all. Maybe it's because they think I'm young and inexperienced, but isn't everyone? We are all inexperienced, and even though some know more than the others, there is still a lot more to learn in this world."

Kageyama twirled his sword around his hand. "If you're so smart, why did you steal my ideas?"

Kuroo twitched at the sudden question. "I'm not the best when it comes to, um, innovation and engineering."

"Then how did you build your kingdom?"

"Our kingdom was mostly built and modernized during the last king's rule. I'm just adding onto his amazing work. That's all."

Kageyama nodded in approval. "More than what the Kitagawa Kingdom has done." He clenched his fists. "I want to take down the wall, but I can't anymore."

"Well, if you listen to my advice you'll reclaim what you've lost. Now show me your progress." Kuroo drew his sword and bowed, signaling the start of the duel. A smile tugged on Kageyama's lips as he readied his blade.

"I am not yielding this time."

"Tanaka, you're going to kill someone if you keep swinging that mace around!" Daichi yelled. "This is a time for practice, not messing around."

"Man, I can't have fun these days," he grumbled.

"He's got a point," Ennoshita said behind him. "You should probably learn how to use it. Plus, it's temporary, so don't damage it."

"Don't damage your own blade," the baldy retorted, sticking his tongue out mockingly.

"I won't."

Tanaka picked up his chain with a frown. "How am I gonna get trainin'? Everyone's working with swords."

Ennoshita grabbed the handle and gently lifted it from Tanaka's hands, admiring the spiked ball at the end. "This weapon is dangerous and reckless, but it's strong and impactful. I think it's the perfect weapon for you."

Tanaka pursed his lips and turned away. "I'll take that as a compliment."

He looked down at the weapon in hand. All his life, he had trained with the sword. Would this really work? He lifted it and gave it a swing, letting the heavy, spiked ball to swing around. He smiled, twirling arm as he swung again. 

"This will work," he mumbled with a smirk. Before he could get another swing in, Yaku clapped his hands from across the yard. 

"I'm sorry, Karasuno, but you all have to leave. Formal training will begin soon." 

"Can't they train with us?" Lev asked.

Yaku sighed. "I've trained all of these men. If I pitted them against these armatures, they would slaughter them."

Tanaka looked over with a frown. "Say what?"

Yaku turned his attention over to the bald man. "I said, the soldiers will beat you in a spar."

"Have ya ever seen us in action?" Tanaka asked, his face getting scary as he approached the trainer. 

Yaku's eye twitched. "Is this a challenge?"

"Yeah, it is!" Tanaka said with a grin. 

"I'm curious, too," Noya chimed in with a grin. "I bet we're ten times better than your 'trained men.'"

Those words released Yaku's rationality. "You want to spar? Bring it."