A Test

Happy Birthday Uriah!! 

Please read the author's note at the end. I need your help for a future chapter!

Disclaimer: I own nothing!

Sorry for any grammar/spelling mistakes.

Enjoy!

A Test

Katy found her daughter fast asleep in a chair pulled up next to her son-in-law's bed. Maya was gripping Josh's hand as she leaned over fast asleep with her face resting on his arm. She knew there was no way her daughter was comfortable sleeping like that. Maya hadn't left Josh's side since the scare four days ago where they thought they were going to lose him. Katy closed her eyes to fight back her tears. She still couldn't get seeing her daughter so distraught and her screams out of her head. Her heart had never broken so much. She shook her head, saying a little prayer for her son-in-law before walking over to her daughter, carrying coffee.

She gently laid a hand on Maya's shoulders to wake her causing Maya to jump up. She winced, apologizing as her daughter's hand went over her heart. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

Maya glanced over at her still sleeping husband before nodding and looking back at her mother.

"I thought you could use some coffee."

It was Maya's turn to wince as her stomach instantly turned at the smell of coffee that was now in her face before she knew it she found herself leaning over emptying her stomach out in the garbage can. She wanted to curse every woman who's morning sickness went after the first trimester because her seemed to be sticking around along with always being exhausted.

Katy's eyes went wide in surprised. She had been having her suspicions lately but this pretty much confirmed it. "Do you have something you need to tell me?"

Maya glanced over at her mother as she walked into the bathroom to rinse out her mouth. Her mind flashed back to the same question Shawn asked her before they revealed they knew about her marriage. This time she knew her mom wanted her to reveal her pregnancy but unlike last time when she admitted the truth right away this time she didn't plan on making it as easy. She didn't want to tell anyone she was pregnant until Josh was awake so instead she walked back over and turned her attention back on her husband, squeezing his hand.

Katy sighed, pulling a seat up next to her daughter. "You know, our apartment is three bedrooms?"

Maya looked back over at her mother questioningly.

"Maya, sweetie, things in life change. You should know that. Expect the unexpected," Katy eased, resting a hand on her upper back. "We got a three bedroom apartment because at one time Shawn and I thought about having a baby," she continued, surprising Maya with the little fact. Katy nodded, "A year after Shawn and I got married I wanted to have another baby. Shawn was okay either way, so we tried but it didn't happen. We tried for over a year and half then I found your marriage license and I took it as a sign we weren't meant to have a baby. Then the more I thought about it, babies are a lot of work and with you getting married, I knew it meant it was only a matter of time before we would be having grandchildren," she finished with smile. "Grandchildren I could love and spoil and give them back to their mommy and daddy."

Maya gave her mom a small smile staring at her for a moment as if she was trying to read her feelings. "Are you disappointed?"

Katy looked at her daughter, curiously.

"About me having a baby? I know you wanted me to wait."

Katy gave her daughter a small reassuring smile as she took her hand into hers. "Maya, you were eighteen when you got married and still in high school but now you are a twenty-three years old woman. You are still young, but you've been married for almost five years, you are a hardworking woman who loves her career, and a wonderful wife. I'm proud of the woman you have become and I think you are going to be a wonderful mother to my grandchild," she told her bringing a smile to Maya's face as tears started to run down her cheeks "The baby may be a shock to us but it doesn't mean we don't want it or aren't going to love it. It doesn't mean Shawn and I aren't excited to be grandparents because we are. I know Shawn is going to be so happy when he finds out and I'm happy," she told her, squeezing her daughter's hand before resting one on her daughter's stomach. "But this baby is not calling me grandma. I'm too young to be called grandma," she added on with a laugh.