~ Part 13 ~ James Marauder Potter? ~

betty - Taylor Swift

-Lily POV-

I look at him in shock. My eyes are wide. My mouth is open. My eyebrows are arched at an angle higher than the Eiffel Tower.

"Long time no see," James comments, a smirk plastered on his face as if he was satisfied with my reaction.

"I-Potter-Marauder..." I stutter. "You're Head?"

"What, not happy to have another encounter with your favorite quidditch player?" He asked cockily.

I snap out of my daze, making sure that I don't break my record of never failing to come up with a retort. "Don't be so quick to assume, Potter, because I was leaning more towards Sirius being my favorite player."

James gasped, and put on the most upset, heartbroken, anguished, devastated, and fake expression I'd ever seen.

I rolled my eyes. "But for real, you're—"

"Head Boy? Why yes, I am," James answers before I even get the question out. "Don't worry, Lils, I was speechless too. So was Remus, Peter, my dad. I know my mum was baffled, but she tried to cover it up with kisses and being so proud of her baby boy. And Sirius, well, Sirius laughed nonstop for an hour."

"I..." I pause, my eyebrows furrowing. "Proof, please."

James grins, and points to his chest at a very clear HB badge that I should've noticed before.

I take a breath. "Wow. But... I mean, other than that one pink-haired Hufflepuff who kept changing into Professors, and probably Sirius, you're like the biggest troublemaker in this school!"

"Hey! Don't insult me! I'm worse than everyone, Lils. No one surpasses my troublemaking. Especially not some first or second year Hufflepuff!"

"Hey, don't underestimate the puffs," I scold him. "I've got a friend, Emmeline Vance, who's in Hufflepuff, and after you get past her shy side she's quite a scary one."

"I'm still the trouble-iest troublemaker there is," James said with a pout, sticking out his bottom lip. I blink, and almost lose my train of thought.

"Okay, we're beside the point. You are Head Boy? Are you sure? Or am I just hallucinating? Is this a dream or something?" I ask.

"Well, Evans, I'm flattered that you dream about me, but nope. I'm completely and utterly sure that I am Head Boy. And I am completely and utterly excited that you're Head Girl because that means we spend lots of time together," he says with a smirk.

"I-ugh! I don't dream about you..." I say quietly, not quite meeting his eyes. I then proceed to tell my conscious to shut it's damn mouth up and just let me speak, and I continue. "That was just said in figurative language, or something!"

James chuckles, and an awkward silence falls upon us.

After a moment, James speaks. "Well erm..." James started, a nervousness settling in his eyes that hadn't been there before.

I arch an eyebrow. "What? Why do you look so nervous? What are you nervous for?"

"Just..." James started, seemingly treading lighter than usual. "I just wanted to be sure that... that you're alright with my being Head Boy. I mean, if you aren't, which I totally understand, I suppose I can be an arse occasionally, but yes, if you don't like, or don't want me to be Head Boy, or you want someone else, I could tell Professor Dumbledore and he-he can—"

And next thing—what do you know—I'm cutting him off with an action that is one, quite stupid, two, more brave than I normally am, three, so bad of an idea it could even qualify as a Sirius level bad idea, and four, changed my life in many more ways than I'd have ever thought possible.

Hm.

~ ~ ~
NOTES: Gotta love some Tonks, eh?

-Amelia