~ Part 28 ~ Be That Way, Prongsie ~

Build Me Up Buttercup - The Foundations

-James POV-

It was a few weeks into the school year, the beginning of October, and the first Hogsmeade trip was coming up in a week. Boys were starting to ask girls to be their dates for it, or girls were asking boys, or boys were asking boys, or girls were asking girls. And any other variation of that.

And I was getting a little worried... should I ask Lily? Would she take it the wrong way? Would it ruin our friendship?

And besides, how would I even ask her? Would I ask her as friends? Or more? Would she want more? Or, like she said, would she want to take it slowly? Alright, back to the how would I even ask her? How the bloody ruddy would I ask her? I don't think she would want me to do it all out and public. So would I just do it, like... in the dorms when we're alone?

I walk into the Great Hall for breakfast, my mind going a hundred miles an hour, and my heart beating fast because of my racing mind.

But as I spotted Lily in all her red hair, freckled arms, perfect posture glory, I felt my heart hammer even more. I blinked. Get a grip, James.

Lily was sitting in her normal spot, as usual, but I noticed something quite infuriating that was less usual. She was turned around towards Sean McLaggen, who was talking to her. Sean McLaggen. In other words, the biggest prat on earth.

I hadn't even thought of this question; what if someone else asked her? What if she said yes to that someone else?

I was just close enough to hear the two talking.

"Lily. You are an enticing girl, and I would like you to accompany me to Hogsmeade this weekend," I overhear Sean say.

I feel anger and jealousy boil up inside me like never before. Lily had finally accepted me as more than just an arrogant toe-rag-we had actually become pretty alright friends ever since we agreed to try and restart on the train-and McLaggen had to go and bloody ruin it.

He was, of course, the snobbiest guy ever, and only used girls to get in their pants. But, for a reason beyond my understanding, girls seemed to... barf... like him. Or think he was hot, or something. I don't know.

What if Lily was one of the girls who thought that?

I back track, and storm out of the Great Hall.

Stupid McLaggen.

Not knowing where else I would go, I decide to head to Charms early.

Stupid me for not asking earlier.

I bound up a staircase, trying to restrain myself from slamming down my feet, because stomping is childish.

Stupid girls thinking he was cute.

I end up stomping down the corridors anyways.

Stupid Hogsmeade.

I turn towards the classroom, and walk through the door. Professor Flitwick wasn't even there yet; I was like, half an hour early. (Yes, I finally learned the shortie's name, it's Flitwick).

I take a seat in the back desk I always share with Sirius. Remus shares a desk with Mary to the right of us, Frank and Alice sit at a desk diagonal to us, and Lily and Marlene sit with each other at the desk in front of ours. Peter wasn't in Charms with us.

I feel my jaw clenched, and I shake my head. I lean back in my chair and whistle a bit, to try and distract myself from Lily. After blowing the tunes of a KISS song that Sirius had got me to listen to, I got bored.

I reach into my robes and pull out the two-way mirror that Sirius and I both have.

"Paddy!" I shout into it roughly. It takes a moment, but then I hear an answer.

"Wha..." Sirius replies, face appearing in the mirror, sounding and looking as if he had just woken up.

"Come to Charms, I'm bored and angry."

"Mate! I was having the best dream, and you wake me up to get to class early?" He asks sleepily and annoyedly.

"First of all, I don't even want to hear about your dream, and second of all, get your arse down here, I'm bored, and I am angry."

"Fine. Be that way, Prongsie."

After about 5 or 10 minutes, Sirius shows up with wild hair, and thrown on robes.

"Alright, what could you possibly need that had to wake me up?" Sirius asked. He sees my angry expression, and smirks. "Who has upset my Prongsie?"

"McLaggen," I mutter.

"Ah, that son of a bitch. What's he done this time?"

"Asked Lily to Hogsmeade."

"Well did she say yes?"

"I don't know, I stormed off."

"Then what's the problem? She probably said no to that arse, you idiot."

"But what if she didn't?"

Sirius rolls his eyes and answers. "Would you like a girl who would say yes to that bloody douchebag? Besides, don't you trust Lilyflower's judgement?"

"I mean... yeah, but-"

"Then I don't see what the problem is. The chance of her saying yes to him is about as slim a chance of me saying yes if that Bletchley lass asked me out," Sirius said.

"But-"

At that moment, Professor Flitwick walked in, humming some random song, but stopped and jumped when he saw us.

"Why are you boys here early? Even my usual early-to-class students come later than this," Flitwick questioned in surprise.

"Ah, Flits, just Prongs and his girl problems," Sirius drawls, to which I shove him.

"I must ask you not to call me 'Flits' for the last time, Mr. Black," Flitwick said. Sirius shrugged. "And it is alright with me if you stay in here until class begins, just keep quiet."

That should be no problem, though, as I am in no mood to talk any more. Sirius's attempt at trying to make me feel better just made me feel worse. Basically what Sirius had said was that she most likely said no.

Most likely means that there's still a chance.

Most likely means that there's still a chance that Lily said yes to Sean!

Eventually, class begins. I see Lily walk in with Marlene, laughing at something she had said, and I almost forget why I'm angry, entranced by her laughing smile and dancing eyes.

Snap out of it!

She gives the gang a small wave before settling down in front of me, and Marlene in front of Sirius.

Merlin! That just makes me feel even more angrier at McLaggen! Because if she said yes, I can't have that bright, laughing face.

I stare at the back of her head all of class, not paying one bit of attention to Flitwick.

I decide that I'll ask her about her response to Sean, sooner or later, at least.

If she had said no to McLaggen, then I'll be happier than Sirius on Christmas, and I'll try and bulk up the confidence to ask her to go with me.

If she had said yes, then... well... that would really.

Really.

Really.

Suck.

~ ~ ~
NOTES: X

-Amelia